CLASS OF 1986 | 2023 | SUMMER ISSUE

Lots of work and life news from ’86ers:

Scott Michaud: “I have left my position as senior speechwriter to the director of National Intelligence, and I am now the senior speechwriter for the chief space officer, who serves as the director of the recently established U.S. Space Force. This is an exciting opportunity for me to help shape the culture and vision for this newest branch of the U.S. military. Semper Supra!”

Kate Nunn Mini said: “I have recently taken a job at Yale Health Pediatrics. In addition to providing primary care, I am working on several initiatives to address the pediatric mental health-care crisis. I was lucky to be able to see my son playing baseball on our field (sorry guys, he played for Williams). Feeling grateful for whatever chapter this is in my life.“

Ethan Knowlden contributed: “February 28, 2023, was my last day of employment; March 1 was my first day of retirement. I am choosing a little less work and a lot more life, perhaps a little earlier than most.  Twenty-plus years as a lawyer in pharma—the last five for a nonprofit—affords me this option and for that I am grateful. I won’t stop trying to help others, though; for some reason, I think helping to address homelessness in Arizona (where Leanne and I now reside) is my next challenge.”

Josh Pollock: “So life in Ann Arbor is good. I’m semiretired from Zingerman’s Bakehouse, which has given me the time I want to spend with my folks as they move on through their stages. It has even allowed me to get back into the book business (Schulers) where I spent 20-plus years (Ned’s, Shakespeare & Co., The Academy, Borders—about 16 years—and Nicola’s). I’m in sporadic touch with some old Wes friends who are dealing with their own transitional issues, and love hearing from [them] with every email or postcard. If folks are in the area (most likely kids applying or coming to U of Michigan), feel free to reach out.”

Coleman Bazelon shared that in early February he “coauthored a report, ‘Quantification of Reparations for Transatlantic Chattel Slavery,’ for the American Society of International Law’s Second Symposium on Reparations under International Law. I collaborated with my partner at The Brattle Group, Alexis Maniatis ’87.”

Erika Levy is still enjoying being professor of Communication Sciences and Disorders at Teachers College, Columbia University. She is also enjoying her daughter Maya’s (’26) enjoyment of being frosh at Wesleyan—living in a dorm that didn’t even exist in the ’80s. Erika’s son is working hard as a high school junior. Erika just finished assisting with a fulfilling training of cleft palate speech practitioners and individuals with cleft palate in Mexico. She would love to hear from her Wesleyan classmates.

Tavy Ronen is still living in New York City and teaching at Rutgers University as a professor of finance. She also acts as an expert witness for securities class-action suits.

Hal Ginsberg: “I have returned to broadcasting. After nearly four years as national coordinator at Our Revolution, I resigned effective January 1 in order to build and develop my YouTube channel, Halitics.

“Recently, I have been enjoying virtual visits with Sandy Goldstein, Rick Davidman ’84, Bill Houston ’87, and Steve Shackman ’87. Truly, there are no friends like old friends.

“My family is doing well. My wife Mindy Burke is now into her third decade as a teacher in the Montgomery County Public Schools system. Michael (Georgetown 2020) is a congressional reporter. William (Maryland 2022), like his mother, is teaching in MCPS.”

Bennett Schneider shared: “I’m still a nun, going on 28 years with the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence. Southern Illinois University brought me to their campus to perform and teach a workshop in October 2022. Nathan Gebert ’85 visited on his way from Japan to New York. Currently rehearsing another music educational show for schoolchildren with the Colburn School of Music in Los Angeles.”

Mike Sealander: “My news is that I started to relearn Japanese after my daughter decided to take it in college. We went to Japan last fall, and it was lovely being able to speak, if a little haltingly. I’m thinking about taking the JLPT N3 test in Japan this December.“

Tierney Sutton wrote: “This year I released my 13th album as leader, Paris Sessions 2. The album features guitarist (and my husband), Serge Merlaud, bassist Kevin Axt, and NEA jazz master, flautist Hubert Laws. Another project released this year was Chris Walden’s Missa Lubileum Aureum featuring me and Kurt Elling. The project is the first ever Catholic Latin Jazz Mass and features an all-star big band, choir, organ as well as Kurt and me as soloists. It’s glorious music and was in celebration of the 50th wedding anniversary of Ted and Laddie Hall.

“My touring and teaching schedule has picked up quite a bit postpandemic, and I’ve been touring all over the U.S. as well as in Europe and Colombia. In addition to teaching and producing private students, I’m currently on the faculty of The Didier Lockwood School in Paris, France. Since my marriage in 2019, I have split my time between Paris and Los Angeles.”

Ayelet Waldman wrote: “Exciting news on my end this time! My daughter, Sophie Chabon ’17 got married in September to Michael Massone ’14. It was a wonderful wedding in Maine, with lots of Wes friends and family.”

The Chabon-Massone wedding party walked to the waterfront where the ceremony took place.
Sophie Chabon ’17 and Michael Massone ’14 break the glass together.