CLASS OF 1962 | 2023 | SPRING ISSUE

John Driscoll’s celebration on November 5, in a packed Memorial Chapel, was attended by classmates Robin Cook, Bob Krugman, and Hank Sprouse. Robin, who remembers John as “one of the most affable and good-natured individuals I have ever met,” regretted only the absence of speakers from our class who knew him best at the very beginning of his Wesleyan career. Hank, who had been close to John, found the memorial “truly moving for me—spiritual, loving, powerful, gentle, and meaningful.” For anyone interested, John left an extended oral history interview about his Wesleyan history, including his earliest days when we were there together; a transcript of this is available online at https://digitalcollections.wesleyan.edu/object/ohp-53. 

Ken Landgraver has moved into a retirement community in Portland, Oregon, which allows him and his wife more time to travel: Morocco for two weeks in March and April; hiking the Camino in Spain where he got COVID and “had to spend two delightful weeks in Madrid until I tested negative”; and a week each in Santa Fe and Pismo Beach. They also “spent time at our beach place watching the whales, where they come in so close, we can hear them.” They have been using an old VW Westfalia van for camping throughout the Northwest and exploring Vancouver Island, while also adding two great-grandsons to the family. 

Bruce Menke and his wife Karen continue to be highly active politically in Athens, Georgia, supporting Democratic candidates and causes. They have hosted or co-hosted more than 20 fundraisers and candidate meet and greets, and recently organized a major Get Out the Vote effort. Bruce further reports, “Fortunately, our extended family has made it through COVID without serious illness. Our oldest grandchild is now a sophomore at Duke. Two others are high school sophomores and the youngest is in sixth grade. My interest in languages continues, with a focus on reading contemporary books in the Romance and Germanic languages and, to a lesser extent, Russian.”

Len Wilson writes that “after celebrating our 60th wedding anniversary and catching COVID in Europe last summer, there’s little to top that news. Joyce and I are heading back to our condo in South Philly after spending over two years ‘staying safe’ at our barrier island home on the Jersey shore.” Len remains active with his YMCA retiree groups and is helping plan a Christmas luncheon/fundraising “where I continue to be the auctioneer, squeezing all the giving I can get from my friends and [their] spouses. I will also continue my favorite activity (pickleball) indoors in the Philly area.”

Chuck Work reports that Hurricane Ian “did not hit us as directly in Naples as it did Fort Meyers and we were fortunate in that we live several miles from any water and so the surge did not reach us and we sustained no damage. But it will be a slow recovery for much of Southwest Florida.” He adds that he “went door-to-door for Democrats in our county making almost no difference.”  

Bill Wortman writes: “As everyone discovers when they retire, staying busy is no problem. There’s so much to do, in my case this past year six hiking trips with Road Scholars to national parks (Acadia, Big Bend, Glacier, etc.), local volunteer and civic activities, reading (most recently Joyce’s Ulysses, which I first read with Wilbert Snow in my sophomore year), and fitfully hacking away at invasive species on my small property just outside Oxford, Ohio, which is good therapy.” Sadly, Bill’s wife Sue Howlett (Mt. Holyoke ’65) died two years ago after nine years with lung cancer, but he has three grandchildren all doing well; two in Denver about to graduate this coming spring (one from high school, the other from college), and the third in St. Louis with still “a ways to go.”

Finally, many of you who were chemistry students will remember Tony Santonicola MA ’61, who as a master’s student was a teaching assistant and lab instructor during our freshman and sophomore years. It turned out Tony enjoyed interacting with brats like us more than mixing chemical reagents and moved on to the graduate counseling program at Harvard. He and I became roommates there in 1963 and consolidated a lifelong friendship in which he became “Uncle Tony” to my kids. He served for many years as director of counseling at the University of Hartford and has recently moved to a cottage in a retirement community near there where he tends to two garden lots and confounds everyone who can’t believe he is 92. He recalls his Wesleyan years with great fondness and extends best wishes to all who remember him.