All a-ok in Washington State on Guemes Island, Bob Anderson writes that having studied thousands of years of human history and a focus on the signs of empire in process, he sees patterns emerge (any relationship to the present?). He rounds out a busy time with sculpture and gardening as well as continuing with his life’s work in the UCC in any way that he can. His note concluded about whether we “keep the Republic.” Quote attributed to Ben Franklin.

My family is scattered all over our great nation. Daughter Laurie and son-in-law Joe are in Houston, Texas, the latter in a new job in pro sports marketing. Two of three grandsons are in college. Johnny a junior at Wisconsin and Will a frosh at UDenver. Son Dave and daughter-in-law Crystal working from home in Quincy, Massachusetts; Dave is a client investment manager with Morgan Stanley. They expect a first child, a daughter, very soon. No shortage of places to visit, should the occasion arise.

Two years ago Sam Bergner decided to make some changes. After 50 years in the commercial real estate business, he retired and downsized into an apartment in nearby Metuchen. This in-town location seemed ideal, with trains to NYC, restaurants, etc. Unfortunately, the pandemic plus Sam’s health issues have curtailed his taking advantage of these amenities. However, he continues to enjoy audio books, online lectures, and his seven grandchildren. And even after 58 years of marriage, he and Lynn continue to make each other laugh every day.

Sadly, I report on the loss of Dr. Bill Pratt and Bob Gorin, both earlier in the year. Bob had been a steadfast supporter of Wes through the years. Previous columns highlighted his underwriting of skating parties at the Central Park rink. He was proud of Gorin generations attending Wes. Dr. Pratt, after retiring following an exceptional career in medicine, took on a different role as a member of the New Mexico legislature. Notes in preceding columns evoked his satisfaction therewith. On behalf of the class, our sympathies to their respective families.  

Jack Braitmayer writes:My wife, Nancy, and I are fine, living the life of Reilly in our house in Marion, Massachusetts, if one can do that in COVID-19! I have gotten to the age of 90+ (originally ’52), and I am now having a hard time expressing myself in phone conversations and phone calls. My oldest daughter Karen, an architect specializing in ADA issues, was recently quoted in The New York Times, which made me very proud. My second daughter Kristina ’83, married to “Bo” Hewey ’82, is still teaching and they have acquired a small island off the coast of Maine for family fun. My son Eric, my youngest child, is the CEO of IMTRA, a supplier to the marine trade, and enjoys cars and golf in his free time. Kristie and Bo have a granddaughter living in Nicaragua, where both her parents are employed. We get them to visit once a year at Christmas, but maybe not this year.”

Art Typermass | joanarth64@gmail.com
144 East Ave., #302B, Norwalk, CT 06851 | 203/504-8942