Notes in this report include some interesting reminiscences from our time at Wesleyan.

Peter Buffum and his “wife of 52 years” live in Philadelphia. They visited the Hotel des Grandes Ecoles in Paris where he “stayed and only occasionally studied back in 1960—prompting Mark Barlow ’46 to report to my parents that I was apparently lost in Paris!”

Robin Cook dropped off his freshman son at Wesleyan in the fall (“I know I’m years behind many of our classmates”) and said it is interesting that “my son is in Clark Hall—where I roomed with Jeff Hughes for three years.” He said, “The campus looks terrific with facilities we couldn’t have dreamed of, as well as a bevy of smart women.” He added that “we all could probably have gotten an extra degree if we had better used all the time we spent traveling to women’s colleges.” By the time this issue comes out, Robin will have published his 36th novel, which “is 36 more than I ever expected to write as a chemistry major.” He credits the required freshman humanities course for helping push him in the writing direction.

Ray Fancher retired as professor emeritus and senior scholar after 45 years in the psychology department at York University in Toronto.

He was a founding member of York’s “unique graduate program in the history of psychology,” which he says was “inspired partly by my College of Letters experience at Wesleyan.”

John Hazlehurst has stopped doing “downhill bicycle time-trialing on twisty mountain roads” due to a bike crash. He also says he is “surprised to be a great-grandfather.” On both issues, he asks, “Does this mean that I’m no longer a promising young man?” (Is that a question we all should ponder as we begin approaching our 60th Reunion?) He writes that “living in Colorado is still wonderful,” and he credits U.S. Senator Michael Bennet ’87 and Governor John Hickenlooper ’74 for contributing to that.

Dave Hedges writes, “Ann and I are still enjoying life as age and health allow us.” This includes summers at Raquette Lake in the Adirondacks, winters in Ft. Myers and Naples, Fla., trips to 12 grandchildren “scattered around the country,” and recent trips to New Zealand, Italy, and the Netherlands.

Vin Hoagland has retired after 33 years teaching chemistry at Sonoma State University. An avid bike rider, including a daily three-mile commute to SSU, he also biked 12 miles to Petaluma High School to tutor chemistry students. He says he also biked “all over northern Germany” when his wife Margo was working there as a horse dressage rider, judge, and teacher. He is now working on a project to convert a planned freeway extension into a linear two-and-a-half mile park with a bike/pedestrian trail.

Warren Smith has been honored by being nominated to the prestigious Guild of Scholars of the Episcopal Church, an informal group of established scholars, all Episcopal lay persons, who provide expertise to the church by meeting annually to deliver papers and conduct seminar-style discussions. This year’s annual meeting will be in Warren’s hometown of Albuquerque.

DAVID FISKE | davidfiske17@gmail.com
17 W. Buckingham Dr. Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971