Previously, a suggestion had been made in our class notes column regarding the Vietnam War and its impact on the lives of our classmates. The response of members has been tremendous— so much so that it will take a few publications to include everyone’s comments. If your reply is not present in this edition, please be patient and your secretary will attempt, in time, to cover everyone’s view. It is never too late to submit new or additional thoughts.

Howie Morgan was one of the early responders to the request, writing: “Didn’t give a crap! I was in grad school and getting married. Lyndon Johnson got us in this mess! My wife, Betsy, was at Berkeley and marched in the protests until broken up by a Hells’ Angels motorcycle gang!”

Phil Rodd replied: “I never served, because I was married in 1964 and married men were not being drafted.”

Steve Smith relates that he was not a combatant, being “exempt since I was in graduate school in a PhD program at Tulane, preparing for a professorship in anatomy and neurobiology as a teacher in medical school. I guess they thought I might be as useful there as I would be wading through the swamps along the Mekong River. I supported our troops and was embarrassed by their treatment upon their return. I also felt, and still do, that we were foolish to go in and bail out an intensely unpopular French regime. We were set up to fail, since we were hardly looked upon as saviors, so we had virtually the entire population against us. Not a wise move! I wish we had learned our lesson, to keep our noses out of other peoples’ wars!”

Lewis Kirshner was actively involved with the conflict. He writes: “I served as a psychiatrist in the U.S. Air Force from 1969-71, stationed at Wright-Patterson in Ohio. These were turbulent times in the U.S. I was active in the anti-war movement, as a member of the Concerned Officers group. Much against my nature, I spoke at rallies and on the radio about our opposition. I treated many Vietnam casualties at our hospital and was also involved (as an expert witness) in military trials of men who refused to participate. Although I was warned/informed about the legal restrictions on my activities as an active duty officer, I was treated well by the Air Force and had a decent, if often frustrating, professional experience, in contrast to my highly conflicted feelings about being a part of the military! I recall the reactions after Kent State at our base, where many people criticized the protesters (although there was widespread anti-war sentiment even among careerists). I published an article in the leftist journal The Radical Therapist, founded by a militant colleague, that almost cost me a fellowship at Harvard after discharge, for fear they were taking on a flaming radical!

“Although I continued to support and counsel anti-war young people during that period, I regret that my contributions were in fact quite modest. Encountering and supporting Bernie reawakened some of these old feelings from the ’60s and ’70s about social change. Busy in professional and family life in a very blue state, I almost forgot the polarization, xenophobic tendencies, and deep racial injustices that were so much on the surface and seemed about to be confronted back then. In recent years, we have seen that this hopeful attitude turned out to be illusory. I don’t know whether this country is capable of facing its history and fulfilling those aspirations from the 60s. Time may be short.”

A quick reply from Bob Carey: ”Vietnam—burned my draft card, had some talks with the FBI, was on the bus a lot from NYC to Washington,” and Brad Beechen quipped: “No role, Jon.”

Paul Dickson delivered his latest book to his publisher, which will appear in bookstores on Sept. 1, 2019, marking the 80th anniversary of the beginning of World War II. “My book,” Paul explains, “is about the transformation of a U.S. Army that, in 1935, could fit into Yankee Stadium, into an army of 1.6 million the day of Pearl Harbor. It is also the story of how Secretary of War George C. Marshall gets this army in shape to fight Hitler’s armies in North Africa and Europe, but also to identify and promote the leaders he needed to win the war, i.e. Patton, Eisenhower, Clark, Bradley, etc. I have been working on this one on and off since 2005. It is tentatively titled The Rise of the Fishbowl Army, an allusion to the fact that the numbers for the 1940 military draft were plucked from a fishbowl. Not much from me on Vietnam. Spent early days of the war in the Navy and wrote about it from Washington as it dragged on.”

Respectfully submitted,

Jon K. Magendanz, DDS | jon@magendanz.com
902 39th Avenue West, Bradenton, FL 34205