This will be mostly about Alan Gordon, who left us too soon in May 2010, but is fondly remembered. On Reunion weekend last May I talked with Larry La Brie and his wife Beth, who had just come from a memorial service in Hazardville, Conn., for Alan. They brought me copies of remembrances of Alan by Jim Wagner and Charley Longley, two of his freshmen roommates in Harriman Hall. I wish we had space to reproduce them here in full, but we don’t. I hope to capture a fraction of their eloquence in the excerpts below.

First, let me say that their fourth roommate, Bill Sieverling, left somewhat different impressions. According to Jim, Bill was “constantly worrying he was going to flunk out,” while Charley recalls the same Bill “suddenly appearing at 12 o’clock to nonchalantly type out a paper for a 1 o’clock class.” Well, we all know how that turned out [junior-year Phi Beta Kappa]!

JW: “I was the last to arrive, so I got the remaining upper bunk and the desk by the door, but I soon discovered that I had no trouble falling asleep when I only got about six hours of sleep a night!” He adds, “What an interesting assortment of guys we were!” Charles, he recalls “was a quiet fellow who kept to himself and didn’t talk very much, but was not at all unfriendly once you got to know him.”

CL: “I arrived at Wesleyan at my (our) quarters—and there was Alan’s mother. Don’t remember why she and I happened to be there alone, but I do remember learning that she was from Brazil, that I began pestering her with foolish questions about the country. I later learned that she wrote a gracious letter about our encounter to my mother, for they had been classmates at Wellesley. Alan’s mother made excellent guava jelly. [Alan] let me have a taste and no more! It must have been one of his favorites. No guavas in Maine. Delicious.”

JW: “Al [was] a serious, but pleasantly extroverted, friendly, and humble guy who seemed more amazing the longer you got to know him. He was the son of a missionary and planned to go into the same sort of work himself. But that was not all. Alan was very musical, and I got the impression that he could play almost anything that made sounds. Most definitely he could do very well on the guitar, accordion, piano, and organ, as well as sing quite well! Sometimes I wondered how he ever found time to study!”

CL: “Most of all. Alan loved things musical. I remember him at the organ in the darkened chapel on Friday night, with just the console lit up; and at the keys of the upright in the John Wesley House working out variations of songs for a composition class. About our junior year, he showed up with a big accordion, loaded with keys and buttons. And I remember Alan, elegant in tux, splendid in white shirt and black bow tie, full of smiles, eager and ready to sing!”

JW: “I remember Al best as a Christian brother and mentor who was very helpful to me as a brand new born-again Christian. I had had a very real conversion experience before arriving at Wesleyan. Al was there and often would encourage me when I hit a difficult spot or found studies or some other aspect of college life overwhelming. I remember Al more as a Christian who lived out his faith in practical way than one who talked about it a lot.”

CL: “It was through Alan that I became involved with the First Baptist Church in Middletown, teaching Sunday school and participating in youth fellowship… Occasional Sunday dinners after church with Rev. Johnson and family were lovely occasions.”

JW: “Alan’s girlfriend Alma visited from time to time. I seem to recall that they had been friends and sweethearts for some time, and it was really nice to attend their wedding in the Wesleyan Chapel just one day after we all graduated! I believe he was the first one in the class of 1956 to get married, and I was one of the last, not finding God’s choice for me until 1969! Indeed, I think that Al and Alma’s wedding was the first such ceremony that I had ever attended.

“I wonder what Alan is doing now in the great throngs that surround God’s throne as pictured in the Book of Revelation. Is he playing guitar, accordion, piano or organ, singing or perhaps directing the heavenly choirs? In any case, I do look forward to that Great Day when Alan and I and all the saints will be there singing (and playing) in the hugest orchestra and choir ever assembled to sing God’s praises forever! (I know he will be out of work as a doctor because there will be no more pain or sickness there.)”

Tributes to a great man, one sorely missed.

In July, Ann and I drove to New Hampshire to visit the sage of Antrim, Dick Winslow ’40. At 96. Dick is as gracious and witty as ever. He gets around with the help of two canes, but he still drives a car—too fast at times, he admits. Speaking of great men…

GEORGE CHIEN | gchien@optonline.net; 201/261-0997 

BOB RUNYON | rrunyon@unomaha.edu; 402/393-3320

Intern at the Wesleyan Office of Communications for Spring and Summer 2015. Currently working towards meeting the requirements for an Economics and Government dual major. A Wesleyan Posse Veteran.