The following sad news, sent to me from freshman roommate Drew Clemens, arrived just after I had submitted material for the previous edition of Wesleyan. I feel that even though the timeliness of this information may be somewhat “outdated,” it should be shared with all. Drew wrote, “Bob Sayre (’55 Eclectic) died on April 16 of complications of malignant melanoma. Bob is survived by his second wife, Hutha, three children, two step-children, and seven grandchildren. He taught in the English Department and American Studies Program at the University of Iowa for 33 years.” Drew and his wife, Julie, kept in contact with Bob over the years with occasional trips together including reunions that also included Mary Lou and Wink DelDuca.

Drew writes, “Julie and I remain in good health overall. I closed my private practice three years ago but remain very active in teaching and writing about psychoanalysis and psychotherapy at Case Western Reserve as an emeritus professor of psychiatry and at the Cleveland Psychoanalytic Institute as a training and supervising analyst. I’m on the executive council of the American Psychoanalytic Association and will be the president-elect of the American College of Psychoanalysts. Given a free hand by the editors, I write informative or reflective columns for a psychiatric journal several times a year (see Drew Clemens.net for PDFs). Being retired thus has been a relative matter, but there has been plenty of time to enjoy life. Julie and I make bird-watching trips (Ecuador, Colombia, Belize lately) and she monitors butterfly populations weekly. I play singles tennis and do some biking and hiking. Julie and I continue to sing great music with the Choral Arts Society of Cleveland, go to frequent concerts by the Cleveland Orchestra, and above all enjoy our cottage on Lake Chautauqua, N.Y. Our two sons are doing well in software architecture and residential architecture respectively, and we have four grandchildren.” Yes, Drew, it has been a long road since we first started out rooming together after the tragic start of losing a roommate during freshman orientation. Thanks so much for sharing your words with us!

I received a phone call from Hal Stuhl and enjoyed chatting with him and reminiscing about former acquaintances both at Sigma Chi and Wesleyan. Hard to believe the enrollment during our years numbered approximately 750, including graduate students! Certainly made for an environment where it was possible to know such a high percentage of the student body. Hal and his wife have been spending more time here in Florida, where they have a place on the west coast in Bonita Springs. He mentioned he celebrated both his 55th anniversary and his 80th birthday. I reminded him that middle age now runs through 85, so he should have plenty of time to continue playing golf and exercising! Our bike club tries to plan a weekend ride in Naples annually and as this is just somewhat south of Bonita Springs, I hope we can plan to get together one of these days.

Thanks to the wonders of Facebook, I have traded “words” with both George Edwards and Brad Miter. Needless to say, I’d welcome the opportunity to do so with more of you!

On a personal note, Marianne and I remain well and in decent spirits. Family-wise, my younger daughter, Pamela Torres, spent the summer months at the University of Hawaii earning a second master’s degree in education, this time in leadership. Proud to say she was one of 25 students chosen to attend the university on an all-tuition-paid basis. Really a proud dad! Cycling continues to keep me going and I am on a path to exceed more than 6,000 miles this year, assuming weather and knees cooperate! It’s fun teasing my “younger” riding companions to pick up the pace every once in a while!

As always, I hope these notes find you and your loved ones healthy and happy. Would love to hear from more of you if the chance permits.

DONALD J. BRAVERMAN | ybikedon@bellsouth.net
27A Stratford Ln. W., Boynton Beach, FL 33436; 561/654-3711

Intern at the Wesleyan Office of Communications for Spring and Summer 2015. Currently working towards meeting the requirements for an Economics and Government dual major. A Wesleyan Posse Veteran.