CLASS OF 1979 | 2023 | FALL ISSUE

Heidi Mastrogiovanni reached out with the following note about a recent honor:

“I’m delighted to have been named co-ambassador for the Los Angeles chapter of the Authors Guild, the nation’s oldest and largest professional organization for published writers.”  Congrats, Heidi. Great news!

Michael Livingston shared this news with us: “Retiring and adjusting.”

Jake Walles reports:

“I’ve been retired from the State Department now for about six years. I keep myself busy as a senior fellow at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace in Washington, writing and commenting on Middle East affairs. I stay in regular contact with Jim Sheehan and Al Spohn ’80 and look forward to catching up with other Wesleyan folks at our reunion next year.” Sounds like an interesting and enjoyable way to keep engaged and still be able to enjoy retirement, Jake!

And last but certainly not least, this news from our former class secretary, Gary Breitbord.

“He’s baaack. Just when you thought you’d never have to read another Breitbord Bloviation, I have submitted the following for your reading (dis?) pleasure. My wife and I are enjoying our fully retired life in Falmouth, Massachusetts. Living in paradise where every day is Saturday. Or as my cousin says, ‘Every day is blursday.’

“There have been many gatherings of the DKE brethren and other assorted cohorts. Had a great Red Sox opening day and Bruins game extravaganza with George DuPaul, Peter Campbell, Frank Hauser, and Jeff Gray ’77.  A great time was had by all. I have seen the aforementioned Dr. DuPaul and his lovely bride many times, even got to meet his new grandson, Colin. They purchased a wonderful place right downtown in Falmouth Village. Perfect spot to venture into town to partake of the library, many fine shops, restaurants, ice cream parlors as well as numerous summer events. We had another wonderful ‘boys’ gathering at the Breitbord abode that included George, Jack Buckley, Bill Conley, and the Grays. The weather cooperated, and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

“Had a great round of golf with Messieurs Dave Thomas ’77 and Paul Fichera ’77 along with Wesleyan’s head football coach Dan DiCenzo. (As an aside, Dan has graciously accepted the role of faculty advisor to the undergraduate DKE brothers.) It was a gloriously beautiful Cape Cod day filled, of course, with many stories of which some, I believe, were actually true. I’d like to say my golf game held up to the level of fun we had, but ain’t no way that could happen.

“The true highlight of the summer was our trip with the Buckleys to Montana to visit with the estimable Jeff Laszlo ’78 on his ranch near Ennis. We all agreed it was a trip of a lifetime that we plan to do on a regular basis. Jeff was the consummate host, taking us on tours of the remarkable 15-year (and counting) restoration project he has completed and continues to improve every day through his diligent stewardship of the family’s 13,000 acres. The Granger Ranches have been in his family for four generations. Laz took over the operations from his mom. He has managed to use modern ranching techniques—it is a working ranch with over 450 head of cattle, coupled with extensive wildlife preservation techniques including humane fencing and shared grazing. On any given day, you can see true diversity of flora and fauna.  To get a glimpse of this massive effort, the largest restoration project in Montana, check out Stewardship with Vision as well as some pictures below.

2,000 acres of Jeff Laszlo’s restored property
Laz’s house half way into the property
Jeff Laszlo ’78

“Many more summer and fall events planned (Jono Cobb we will get together) after I write this, but that’ll have to wait for another time.”

Thanks, Gary, for a fun and informative update!

That’s it for this issue. Thanks for all the submissions!  Be safe and happy.