CLASS OF 1965 | 2023 | SUMMER ISSUE

Dear Classmates,

Thank you to those who responded to my recent request for news.

Unfortunately, the first message I received was from Jim McCague who told us the sad news of Tim Lynch’s passing. Tim lived in Pittsburgh and was a broker at Janney for many years. Some of us knew this was imminent through fellow Dekes, and we were encouraged to send Tim a message, which I believe a number of us did. Tim was a man of principle, bright and loyal, and will surely be missed by all who knew him.

Jonathan and Matthew, sons of Peter Dodson, wrote to inform us of their father’s sudden passing in mid-March. Peter (undergraduate president of EQV) earned his JD from Penn and was a lawyer at Ropes & Gray in Boston. Peter loved wildlife, the outdoors, and the arts.

Bob Leonard sent a thoughtful note and the following: “I am attaching some comments on our loss last spring of one-time classmate and compatriot, Ted Charlton ’66. Ted was a singular soul, a spirit, a self-sufficient waif. He had a flair for the amusingly wry. He was an honest-to-goodness old-time New Englander—confident, without unseemly pride, that his solitary view had merit and worth. After Wesleyan, he became a critical thinker/writer/teacher of American film, particularly ‘the Western.’ Terribly early in his career, he was struck down by a severe stroke. Bearing his disabilities without a shred of self-pity, he learned to live quietly with great imagination, which he shared within his immediate circle. His passing is born by his former wife, Sue Wiseheart, who has included Ted in her family following their amicable divorce, including her twin girls, who knew him as ‘Tio,’ a precious family moniker that shall ever remain with them as a reminder of someone special. I have been friends with Ted since our days in the College of Letters, sharing essays, poems, political diatribes, and black-and-white photos of forlorn cemeteries, poking fun at the bleak days of February. Ted will bring a knowing wink of human comprehension, and a triumphant spark of disdain for the ironies of life to his final resting place, which will be all the better for his presence.”

Rob Abel: “My colleague and I brought 17 corneas to Kigali, Rwanda, for transplantation, and are consulting at the best ophthalmic teaching institution in central Africa. “By the way, my granddaughters loved their visit to Wesleyan this past fall.” Rob also sent along a great picture of a handsome silverback gorilla he spied in the mountains of Rwanda. He claimed he/she was wearing a Wes t-shirt! and remarked, “He was healthy, seemed to be eating quite well, and wanted to be remembered to you and invited you to make the trek.” Thanks Rob! I’ll take that under consideration and congratulations on your important work for those in need!

Bertel Haarder: “After 42 years as a member of the Danish Parliament, seven years as member of the European Parliament, and 22 years as cabinet minister, I am now a columnist in 5 Media, and I have my own TV program in DK4. So, I’m a very active pensioner. My Wesleyan experience (foreign student 1964–65) greatly inspired my 15 years as minister for education and research.

Dan Raskin: “I’m still alive.”

Arthur Rhodes: “Not much to tell. Am fully retired from medicine after 50-plus years. Have returned to artistic activities. My Instagram board (@papazaydeh) includes 500-plus photographs—no selfies or family. With wife Leslie, we’re enjoying combined five children and 11 grandchildren.”

Bill Brooks: “Glee Club members might want to know that, in addition to collecting materials, establishing a finding aid, and so forth, I’m part of team planning a Professor Richard Winslow festival tentatively scheduled to begin in 2025. Maybe the magazine will do an article on this project in the next issue?

“Personally, I fully retired from the University of York on July 31, 2021, so I’m doubly done now (York and UIUC). But I’m still ‘series editor’ at the Orpheus Institute (Ghent, Belgium), which takes me across the pond at least five times a year. I bought a condo in Champaign, which I’m restoring. Still doing research; still writing music. And, as mentioned above, working full tilt on Richard Winslow’s Wesleyan archive: if anyone from the Glee Club has memories, pictures, recordings—anything!—please be in touch! . . . . Come raise a song for Wesleyana!!”

Bob Barton: “Hanging in at this end, on the inevitable slow decline, but playing tennis two to three times per week. I’m hoping to be with Major Moise for his 80th birthday in Auburn, California, on March 10. Maybe send you a photo. . . .  I’ll be out there mainly to celebrate my brother Bill’s induction into the Cal Berkeley Athletics Hall of Fame (lacrosse).”

Wolf Brueckmann: “I have not sent an entry to Notes for many years. I would appreciate the chance to let classmates with whom I have not been connected know of my whereabouts. Hope therefore that you might include the following brief update: After getting a PhD I got involved in transatlantic trade/investment issues for 30 years at the US Chamber of Commerce and other associations. Owned a small retail business and later taught MBA courses. After retirement, I moved from the Washington, D.C., area to the Shenandoah Valley (Luray, Virginia). Have one daughter, Loni, who is an anesthesiologist in Pittsburgh. Now dedicated to art and show my work (oil painting, mobiles) in area galleries.”