CLASS OF 1949 | 2022 | FALL ISSUE

I received a couple of responses to my request for news.

Bob Wylie kindly wrote in with this update: “I was a World War II veteran at Wesleyan but doubt that there are any left. After Wesleyan, I entered the corporate world and eventually became a vice president of marketing at Celanese and Hoescht. My wife Karen and I and our four children lived in Greenwich for 50 years, but we recently moved to Meadow Ridge, a senior living facility in Redding, Connecticut. Over time I attended the Advanced Management Program at Harvard, and as my interest has been in history, I obtained two master’s degrees at the New School and Western Connecticut State University. I ran for political office and was soundly defeated, but I successfully managed a number of successful candidates. I am 97, have given up driving, but not Scotch.”

Dick Steuart sent a note too. He said that he couldn’t recall which class he would have been in officially—1949 or 1950—but he attended Wesleyan for one year. He had some association with one of the fraternities, but not as an official member. He also competed on the swim team. Upon leaving Wesleyan, he joined the army and entered West Point, graduating in 1950 and, soon afterward, was in the Korean War. “During 27 years in the army, I served in numerous countries throughout the world, but still have fond memories of Wesleyan. One of my Wesleyan classmates was Chuck D. Stone. With regards, Dick Steuart.”