CLASS OF 1951 | 2022 | SPRING ISSUE

Greetings classmates, 71 years later:

Somehow, I have been offered the opportunity to gather and share notes from some of our friends of yore. I’ll start by telling you that Jean and I moved from Middletown almost 10 years ago and now live in Essex at Essex Meadows, a well-respected and well-run CCRC (Continuing Care Retirement Community), similar to hundreds of such facilities across the country. Except for the constant constraints caused by the pandemic, we are fine and enjoying life at its best.

To the point however:

Chuck Exley

Received a good note from Chuck Exley who now lives with wife Carol in “sunny Sarasota.” A grandfather to six and great-grandfather to “three adorable girls”; and he noted that two granddaughters are Wesleyan alums, as well as his son, who is class of ’83.

A longer note came from Barney Kathan, most loyal of the loyal alums. He has written several books,  one of which is in current consideration for publishing by Yale University Press. He also works on memoirs in a class devoted to memoir writing.  I doubt that he is alone in that. Most significantly he has established an annual award for a top performing woman in the Film Studies program, in honor and memory of his daughter Nancy Lee Kathan, Wesleyan ’76. Sadly Nancy died three years ago. All who have returned to the campus during the past 70-plus years look forward to seeing Barney in his cardinal-red jacket, a trademark of the Kathan family.

A very newsy message came from Charlie Selig.  As I read it, it reminded me of many of the same memories and reflections of my own life. I think you will agree. My long memory of Charlie is of seeing him in the Wesleyan “press box,” reporting the play on Andrus Field or in Alumni Field House. That was radio at its best. So here it is:

“Hi Biff . . . glad to say hello to my old friends at Wesleyan and particularly the DKE brothers. Not sure how many of us remain, but we are all thankful for the good life we have enjoyed. My wife died in 2010, but fortunately I met a wonderful lady, and we have been together since 2011. We spend eight months a year at Boca West C.C. in Boca Raton, Florida, and the other four in New Rochelle, where Madalyn lives in the summer. I just sold my condo in Mamaroneck where I lived since 2005, moving there from a Rye, New York, house where we lived 45 years. In Florida, we still enjoy tennis, bridge, and many friends in a most wonderful community. They have taken well care of us during these past two difficult years. . . . Three children, five grandchildren—I have been truly blessed. My health is OK, but at 93, it is not like the old Wes days or even when we were 70 and thought we were old. . . . Have not been to Wesleyan for a long time. I certainly enjoyed my years there, but now we just enjoy life as far as it takes us. Best to all my old Wes friends. Sincerely, Charlie Selig.”

Footnote: 1951 performed well for the Wesleyan Fund in 2021, our almost 70th Reunion. I hope that an off year in celebration won’t be an off year in giving. . . .