Hi, classmates! This month we have some exciting updates about travel, careers, and a new film premiere. Please send us an update in the future about your post-Wes life.

Anne Beaven writes, “I just got back from a week in Panama with my wife, 10-year-old son, and mom. It was a fantastic trip. Happy 2020 to all.”

Jorge Campos writes: “2019 gave me another wonderful opportunity to travel to far off places with many fun memories created. The new year began with my return from Mexico via Toronto on my NAFTA trip. My first destination, Zürich, proved a perfect way to indulge in hot chocolate while looking out on those majestic, snow-capped Alps in mid-January. Then off to Africa. Johannesburg energy was upended by amazing Cape Town. Italia called but my next trip wasn’t one I wanted to take. My bright-eyed grandfather (Papagrande) passed away.

“March rolled around and I marched on. This time to New Zealand and a marathon from south to north. April brought me to Singapore, my personal delight. My stay in Tokyo provided another spring surprise with the city blooming all over. After a rare, relaxing period in NYC, it was back on a flight to Hong Kong. My next stop—South Korea—was perfectly timed to enjoy delicious food with kimchi. My return to New York via Frankfurt gave me an opportunity to spend time with my friends in that city. The following month, July, meant my pilgrimage to Mexico to visit family. Shortly thereafter, Japan with a marathon zigzag. Then, Berlin in August followed, which enchanted me. Passing up business trips caught up to me when it became necessary to head south, this time to Brazil. A routine trip put my world upside down. It wasn’t the trips that mattered as much as the people along the way.”

Jaclyn Friedman emails: “My fourth book Believe Me: How Trusting Women Can Change the World has been published by Seal Press. It’s an anthology that I co-edited with my Yes Means Yes collaborator, Jessica Valenti, and features brilliant essays from the likes of Tatiana Maslany, Dahlia Lithwick, Representative Ayanna Pressley, and lots more. About to head out on book tour, where I’ll see Wes pals Janice Jones, Shana Boniface, Elizabeth Toohey ’94, and Tristan Taormino.”

Therese Casper is finishing up her documentary film, The Invisible Father, tracing her father’s underground life, and considering both the promise and pitfalls of authentic creativity. You can learn more at pieroheliczer.com.

Noel Lawrence writes: “I am premiering my feature Sammy-Gate at International Film Festival Rotterdam. The film is a dark, political satire about how Sammy Davis, Jr. caused Watergate. Here’s more info: iffr.com/en/2020/films/sammy-gate.”

Jason Rekate is moving back to New York after 14 years overseas in five different cities to be the head of Citi’s Global Corporate Bank in September.

Bronwen Williams Sainsbury writes in, “I completed my MBA at Seattle University and I’m president of a home decor company, Stack Resources.”

Jodi Samuels writes: “I had a job transition in early November and I’m now the new senior grants specialist at the Foundation for California Community Colleges, which is just two blocks from our home in downtown Sacramento. My focus is on strategically building up the government grants portfolio to help reach the foundation’s goal of doubling our impact by 2028 and to support the chancellor’s innovative ‘Vision for Success’ for the entire California community college system. I co-presented a session on mentoring at the national Grant Professionals Association (GPA) Annual Conference in Washington, D.C., and served on a panel for another session related to mentoring. My spouse, Evan Smestad, and I spent New Year’s Eve 2020 in Vancouver, B.C., and have plans to celebrate in Iceland next year.”

Emmanuelle Chammah-Slossberg writes, “After growing up and staying in NYC, Matt and I finally decided to take Eva (11) and Mae (7) to get the ‘open-air’ experience and moved to Westport, Conn. I am now a principal at CetraRuddy Architecture, where I have been for the last 11 years. I joined the Board of the Consortium for Sustainable Urbanization (CSU.global). We will be honoring Alexandria Villanseñor, a 14-year-old climate activist and founder of Earth Uprising. Other than thinking about how we can change the world in that way, one piece at a time, we are plenty busy adjusting to our new schools, neighbors and making new friends. So happy to be able to have big dinners and walk to the beach!”

Kim Smith, who resides in Montpelier, Vt., was promoted to the position of program manager at Everybody Wins! Vermont, a reading mentor program that serves over 600 elementary schoolchildren every year.

Diego von Vacano was named full professor of political science at Texas A&M University.

Ari Abel writes, “I am a facial plastic surgeon in Wilmington, Del., and have two daughters—wonderful young women who are 11 and 12. I followed up my brief wrestling career at Wesleyan by serving as the ring physician at several Ultimate Fighting Championships.”

Suzanna Henshon | suzannahenshon@yahoo.com 

Sarah Estow | sarah_estow@hotmail.com