Classmates: It turns out that some of you keep running into each other, or arrange to meet with one another, or start what turn into e-mail chains with one another. Nice to know that you don’t have to rely on these Class Notes, which only appear three times a year, and are skewed by who does and does not communicate with me.

Random meeting #1. Tom Drew wrote to tell me that he and his wife were playing tennis in Florida, and only after the second set did they learned that the guy on the other side of the net was a classmate: Bob Kesner. Here’s Tom’s account: “This e-mail was prompted by a fortuitous meeting at the tennis courts a couple of days ago. We had a game with a couple from Vermont, found to be Bob Kesner and his wife, Andrea Torell, after a set or two. What fun. Last night we had dinner with Gar Richlin and Migs, who are in Longboat Key, possibly the biggest Wes ’67 reunion since our 45th.” Tom and Carolyn had sailed their boat from Rhode Island to Sarasota, Fla., and, presumably by the time you read this, have sailed it back to Rhode Island.

Planned meeting #1. Dave Sweet wrote to tell me that he and some Commons Club pals have been gathering almost annually in or near Portland, Maine. Here’s his account: “I had the pleasure of sharing a couple of meals last summer with several classmates/Commons Clubbers through the continuation of an almost-annual summer gathering in northern New England. The idea of assembling those within reasonable distance of Portland, Maine, for an extended lunch originated with Tom Bertocci and Punch Elliott. Last Sept., it yielded two get-togethers. Lunch on the Portland waterfront included Cindy Bertocci, Toby Astley, Tom Elliman ’65 and his wife, Betsy, and my wife, Glen, and me. Several days later, Toby and I met up with Punch and David Patterson in Concord, N.H. It can be reliably reported that all are doing well.” Dave and Glen live in West Chester, Pa., where he is self-employed as a consultant to local governments on matters of zoning, land use planning, and open space protection.

E-mail chain #1. After reading a New York Times story about Amherst College’s struggle with how to deal with the very bad behavior of its namesake (Lord Jeffrey Amherst), and whether or not the school should keep the nickname “Lord Jeffs,” Ted Smith sent an e-mail to a bunch of us (“This may help to explain why I never liked Amherst!”) and asking what we thought. This elicited a range of responses, including one from Peter Kovach (“The question we need to ask is why Wesleyan has fallen so consistently behind Amherst [Williams, Pomona, etc.] in all the ratings in the last decade or more.”), Bob Dyer, Bob Pawlowski, Howie Foster, Ned Preble, Aidan Jones (“Maybe David Foster Wallace would still be alive and writing today if he’d gone to Wes rather than Amherst”), and yours truly ( “I, too, have been following this Amherst story with interest, especially because Amherst has, in fact, become a much more diverse place than it used to be. Under its former President, Tony Marx, Amherst went from one of the least diverse of the elite schools to one of the most. In one of my classes, I use a book by a social psychologist at Amherst called Speaking of Race and Class that is based on a study of Amherst students.”). Oh, yeah, one more (late) participant: Jim McEnteer (“We’ll drink the wine tonight, drink the wine that makes hearts light”).

In addition to these random meetings, arranged gatherings, and e-mail chains, other classmates, when they write to catch me up, mention Wesleyan friends with whom they are in touch. In the past few months this has included Dave Garrison (in touch with Dick Clemmer, Jim Ruhlen), and Ned Preble (in touch with Phil Corkill, Dave Reynolds, Dave Butler, Jim Guard, Jim McEnteer and Ted Smith). I’ll provide more about these guys next time.

Meanwhile, I hope you will keep on running into each other, keep arranging meetings with your old (and getting older) friends, and keep e-mailing them (with copies to many other classmates). And let me know so I can share these things with the rest of the class, and, it turns out, share these things with other readers from other classes—you 1967 guys are not the only ones who read this column. Some from the class of 1966 read it, too. Just today I got a wonderful e-mail from my old (and getting older) friend, Larry Carver ’66, from whom I last heard decades ago, in response to something I wrote in my last column about the poet Richard Wilbur. Larry has been teaching English at the University of Texas since 1973. He is currently the Doyle Professor of Western Civilization, and is the director of the Liberal Arts Honors Programs. (He took two classes from Richard Wilbur, one on Milton and one on modern American poetry; he also participated in the now-legendary faculty-student charades competition).”

Richie Zweigenhaft | rzweigen@guilford.edu