CLASS OF 1999 | 2023 | FALL ISSUE

Leander Dolphin

#BallerAlert! Leander (Altifois) Dolphin was named to Corporate Counsel Business Journal’s inaugural list of “50 Women to Watch.” Leander was elevated by her firm to the role of co-managing partner in 2021, and then to the role of sole managing partner in 2022. She is the first African American woman in the firm’s history to lead as managing partner. As you can read in this press release on her recognition, this is only one of many accolades she’s received for her groundbreaking work. Way to go, Leander! (I can proudly say I knew you back when we were RAs in our junior year).

Chad Bartell is staying busy practicing business law in Madison, Wisconsin, by day and playing gigs by night with Panchromatic Steel—the steel band he founded in 2016. The band recently performed with steelpan luminary Andy Narell and is working on a recording that will feature a composition originally performed at Wesleyan’s CFA for the senior thesis recital of his Uncle Trouble bandmate, Kabir Sen.

Rachel Afi Quinn spent a year on sabbatical in NYC as a fellow at the Schomburg, working on a black feminist biography of mixed race pianist and journalist Philippa Duke Schuyler, seeing friends and lots of art and theater, and sharing her first book, Being La Dominicana: Race and Gender in the Visual Culture of Santo Domingo, with many interested readers in the Northeast. “Enjoyed my time in the city and you may see me back in the city some summers.” Rachel also received a 2023–24 fellowship from the National Endowment of the Humanities to continue that writing. “In this era of remote work, I will spend my fall with family in Ghana and spring with friends (who are like family) in the Dominican Republic, while finalizing the translation of my first book.”

Alison MacAdam in Switzerland

Alison MacAdam is still living in D.C. and working in audio journalism. “Most recently, I edited a podcast called The 13th Step, about sexual misconduct in addiction treatment. In lighter news, I have a 13-year-old who has fallen in love with ultimate Frisbee (how Wes-ish!), and I’ve enjoyed reuniting on the soccer field with my Wesleyan teammate, Alison Brody ’97. I have also had some lovely visits with old Wesleyan friends, including Sahra Halpern and Dan EnglerScott Cavanaugh and Ashley Grant ’00Greg BrodskyLeila Buck and Adam Abel ’98Sean BowditchIlya Marritz, and Marisa Kurtzman.”

Abbie Goldberg is still a professor of clinical psychology at Clark University but has also joined The Williams Institute at the UCLA Law School as a faculty affiliate. This has helped her to leverage her research on the effects of anti-LGBTQ legislation such as the Don’t Say Gay law in Florida. Her work on this issue has been featured in many mainstream news outlets including The New York Times. She has also published a few books over the past few years, including LGBTQ Family Building: A Guide for Prospective Parents (2022) and The (Mis)Representations of Queer Lives in True Crime (2023).

Arthur Baraf is in his 18th year as a public school high school principal at The Met, in Providence, Rhode Island. In November he’ll be a Fulbright Leaders for Global Schools scholar in Germany, where he’ll be visiting Jed Koslow in Berlin. Arthur is still married with two teen daughters, and still plays ultimate like he did for Nietzsche Factor but much slower.

Kevin’s company, Virta Health, was recently featured in Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential Companies of 2023. “While they surprisingly gave the cover of the print issue to Kim Kardashian instead of us, it’s great to see recognition for what we’re building to address the obesity and diabetes epidemic in the U.S.! Wish my mom and dad were still with us to be able to see my name in print in a publication that they would have heard of.”