CLASS OF 1973 | 2023 | SUMMER ISSUE

From Colorado, William “Billy” Burke writes, “I’m so excited about our upcoming 50th Reunion! It has already been terrific seeing classmates during reunion planning meetings on Zoom. I also had the good fortune to attend a planning meeting on campus the morning of Homecoming where the Class of 1972 shared tips from their 50th. It was the start of a busy day.”

He adds, “The next stop was the Spurrier-Snyder Rink where hockey coach Chris Potter hosted a very special reception organized by Billy Devereaux ’75 and Jim LaLiberty ’77. About 30 Wes hockey alums honored Dave (Duke) and Diane Snyder. After watching the football team demolish Williams, several of us enjoyed dinner with Dave and Diane. Great stories, memories, and even a few tears. Not sure if you heard that Duke was recently the recipient of the John ‘Snooks’ Kelley Founders Award, as someone instrumental to the growth of hockey in the U.S. It was presented by the American Hockey Coaches Association.”

Billy says it was a fantastic time on campus. And he adds, “Of course, in the last dozen years or so it’s always bittersweet to walk down the steps from Foss Hill to the Vine Street tennis courts. It’s a nice grassy slope with a flower bed. But it’s no McConaughy Hall. I know the University had their reasons to tear it down but I want to preserve the memory of our very own flying saucer. So, I’m composing a rock opera that will memorialize the venerable venue. So far, I have the opening number and a high-level storyboard. As you may have said in your early reporter days, ‘Film at 11.’”

Michael Fossel writes that “Retirement is a silly idea, so we’re moving ahead with our biotechnology company and planning our FDA human trials.” He says they have a commitment for essentially unlimited funding, which should enable them to target both the dementias and cardiovascular disease. “In the meantime, I’ve agreed to be the editor and senior author for a new Elsevier Publishing medical textbook on aging, age-related diseases, and the prospects for curing them. Much more fun, however, is building a new ‘hygge’ loft over the garage and getting ready for a glorious summer of gardening,” he says.

Stephen Sullivan writes he is not sure if he be able to make it back for our 50th Reunion but he says he looks forward to reading the news of our class.

From South Carolina, Kie Westby writes that he has moved to Pawleys Island, South Carolina. Kie says he had a stroke in March of last year but reports, “I have recovered fairly well. Just started playing golf again. Am retired from the law practice.”

My senior year East College roommate, Dr. Brian Mahoney, writes that he and Nancy Collins “are now 51 years together and counting. Both retired physicians. Three great kids with in-laws and five grandchildren. The most recent is Cullan, born November 29, 2022, which means ‘handsome boy’ in Gaelic. He is a real Gerber Baby.” Brian says they hope to be at the 50th Reunion. He is having a total knee surgery on April 19.

Our colorful and eloquent classmate Eddie Nathan writes, “I’ve joined the committee planning our 50th Reunion. I’ve enjoyed reconnecting, though my sievelike memory doesn’t attach adequate history to the other men on the committee. Even so, it’s gratifying to see and hear them. I accept that the years have opened me a bit more to emotional recollections and gentler feelings, though I still cringe at the sound and smell of infants.” And he thanks us “for keeping these nourishing connections alive.”

And in light of that, at this writing, it looks as if we are going to have a very nice turnout of our classmates for the reunion. I’m sure I enjoyed seeing you on what I’m sure was a very special and memorable time in Middletown.