CLASS OF 1990 | 2023 | SPRING ISSUE

Hi all. It was pretty quiet this time around. Here’s what we have:

In September, Lawrence Jackson’s sixth book, Hold It Real Still: Clint Eastwood, Race, and the Cinema of the American West, was published, and he welcomed Andy McGadney ’92, president of Knox College, to the advisory board of the Billie Holiday Center for Liberation Arts at Johns Hopkins. “In September we hosted our fourth annual free jazz concert in Lafayette Square in Baltimore’s historic jazz district, and featured Ian Friday ’87 on the turntables. With Andy’s help, I am looking forward to opening a stand-alone, community-owned, Holiday Center in West Baltimore by 2025, specializing in historical preservation, Black history, and the arts. Bob O’Meally, who was my first professor at Wes, is giving my spring 2023 Donald Bentley Address at the Baltimore Museum of Art, where I am also curating an exhibit of rare Billie Holiday materials. Best of all, my roommate, classmate, and line brother, Alan Smith, co-hosted a reception with me in Baltimore to raise money for a book scholarship in my dad’s (and oldest son’s) name for African Americans at Loyola-Blakefield High School. I encourage my classmates, many of whom met my father, to give generously to the Nathaniel Jackson Jr. Memorial Book Scholarship by emailing Loyola’s director of giving Lisa Kenney,  lkenney@loyolablakefield.org. I hope everyone already has a copy of Shelter: A Black Tale of Homeland Baltimore, which also came out this year.”

Sue Rodrigue McFarland writes that the best part of her autumn “was a leadership conference in San Diego that allowed me to pop up to the Bay Area to spend a couple of days with Julia Erwin-Weiner, Carolyn Gencarella, and Maria Poveromo. It was great to see them and spend some time in the City by the Bay. The weather was gorgeous and Carolyn was a fantastic tour guide!”

Joshua Israel enjoyed family weekend at Wesleyan this fall where his oldest son is a first-year student. He is a physician in Washington, D.C. This past summer he enjoyed a visit with Douglas Remillard ’91 at his home in Mauritius.

We were saddened to learn that our classmate Andrew Borsanyi passed away on May 30, 2022. We extend sincere condolences to his friends and family. Please feel free to share any memories of Andrew for upcoming class notes.

Wishing you all good health and happiness. Hope to hear from you in 2023.