CLASS OF 1956 | 2023 | SPRING ISSUE

Paul Weston writes: “I came to the green, tree-lined Wesleyan campus from the windswept plains of Oklahoma in 1952. Graduated in the 1956 physics class of eight bright young men and went on to graduate work at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. A friend from Wesleyan also came to Illinois, and introduced me to my future wife, Patricia, a grad student in chemistry. After 59 happy years together, she sadly succumbed to pancreatic cancer five years ago. Our granddaughter is just now starting a law career in Chicago.

“At U of I, I spent some years in a research group calling itself ‘The Biological Computer Laboratory,’ engaged in the then-new field of cybernetics. Among other things, it contributed to the body of theory underlying current artificial intelligence. Only now, with thousands of times more powerful technology, do we have working examples. (And recognition of the very real potential danger.)

“While a grad student in BCL I claimed my personal ‘15 minutes of fame.’ To show a machine capable of apparently intelligent human behavior, I designed and constructed an electronic device which instantly (well, a tiny fraction of a second) counted the number of objects in a two-dimensional field, regardless of size, shape, orientation, things inside of holes in other things, etc. It was shown on national TV, in a science magazine show hosted by Walter Cronkite.

“When Patricia and I retired from UI in 1998, we launched 20 great years of world travel, in ocean and river cruises, covering all the world’s oceans and continents, and many of its navigable rivers. This fulfilled Pat’s lifelong desire for travel, and I was a happy fellow traveler. The world’s great waterfalls, the dragon-tooth mountains of China, the spiritual aura of Paris’s Notre Dame, the sheer beauty of the Taj Mahal, the utter horror of Auschwitz, were our continued education.”

Our newest ’56 author is Peter Johnson. His book, published by Amazon/Kindle, is entitled Creating New Policy for the Caribbean Basin: The Story of Caribbean/Central America Action. It’s a substantial book—500 pages, including appendices, index, and testimonials—not exactly light reading. It will have some relevance to President Biden’s initiative in Central America. Now retired from the Foreign Service, Peter lives in Mazatlan, Mexico.     

From Dick Smith: “After graduating, I lived in a number of places as I received my medical and research training, including New York, New Jersey, Washington, D.C., Albany, and Maine. I am, of course, now retired after 35 years of medical/research work and another 20 years of eye research at The Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine. My wife Linda and I have been together for over 50 years and continue to live in Maine.”

Bob Calvin reminded me that the Linden Pond diaspora included Ronna and Art von Au, as well as Ginny and Dick Bauer, and also Bette and Alan Grosman.

Bob remembers: “I was best man at Alan’s wedding to Bette. Alan graduated Phi Beta Kappa at Wesleyan and went on to get an MA in political science from Yale, and a JD from the NYU Law School. Back in New Jersey, he joined the family law firm and was a leader in the practice of family law. He spoke many languages, especially Spanish, and was very active in the Cuban community. Another passion was playing the piano. One weekend when we were both living in Boston, we went to a backstage party after a Tanglewood concert. Alan decided to play some show tunes on the piano, and the performers sang along! Alan was a warm person who made friends easily. He will be missed.”

Writes Jim Jekel: “The main news from here (other than I am getting old and creaky) is that my beloved wife of 64 years, Jan, died of cancer in August. Our daughter has lived with us, so I get lots of help, but I am finding that downsizing is more difficult than anticipated.

“I roomed with Al Grosman one year (five of us in a suite at Sigma Nu), and he was a close friend.”

David J. (not W) Cox: “I have been widowed for the second time. Tamara (Compton) died on November 13 after five years of progressive liver failure ended by kidney disease. My three sons have helped me manage combined grief and practical problems. I am knocked down but otherwise in good health and will stay in our house in Leisure World, Maryland, for a while yet.”

Writes Mort Paterson:My wife Susan, only 68 years young, is both my computer/cell phone techie and my travel agent. Last October went to France. Paris first: the Louvre and Musée d’Orsay, and a quick look at where I lived junior year abroad. Good small restaurants still. Saw a fine Cenerentola at L’Opéra. Then to Eze, a small medieval hill town near Nice, overlooking the Mediterranean. (The two together have been called the ‘Nice ‘n Eze’ trip.) Steep streets, no cars. Just managed to keep up with Susan, but not on the rocky 2-mile Nietzsche’s Path—seems he loved Eze, wrote some Zarathustra there—down to the sea. In all, a great trip, but travel seems harder these days. I am very lucky and thankful I could do the trip.”

From Bob Bretscher: “All is well with me and my three daughters’ families. However, normal aging suggests that I move into Presbyterian Village retirement community here in Athens sometime this coming February. Best wishes to all and to all a good 2023.”

Finally, from John Foster: “I’m gratefully above ground and managing the vicissitudes of our age; enjoying my wife, our house, aging in place, and fortunate to have a little help along the way including our two sons [who] are also living in Marblehead.

“Would enjoy corresponding with any interested class members: harboradv@aol.com.”