CLASS OF 1961 | 2022 | FALL ISSUE

Greetings to my 1961 classmates from the cool and delightful Adirondack Mountains of New York State. I suspect that Steve Smith has been challenged with the heat of his summer location, writing: “I am still living with Mary Jane in Florida near the west coast. My chief activity is participation in Help to Home, a program for the provision of low-cost housing for struggling families.” Russell Mott tells us that he is “living now on the U.S. East Coast with my girlfriend. This latest chapter continues with unusual good fortune, as my life was saved by an extraordinary neurosurgeon at Tufts last November. That was the third time my life has been saved (first, by an 85-pound French Poodle named Tarr, when I was but 1-year-old, and second by a Kiwi international tugboat captain named Peter Scott in ’75, during the evacuation of several thousand Vietnamese, days before the North Vietnamese took the city of Da Nang). It is summer, and like 20 previous summers, I am at camp 24/7, in northeast Massachusetts, introducing ceramics to kids 8–15, having the time of my life. Bueno hasta siempre.— Mook (My camp name given to me over 70 years ago by another Eclectic brother, Jake Congleton, WES U class circa 1955.)”

Spike Paranya tells us: “Kathy and I continue to enjoy our retirement in Oneonta, New York. Our area offers lots of opportunities for community involvement close at hand. I still volunteer as a jumps coach for the Sidney High School track team and other top athletes at local high schools. I’ve done this for 40-plus years but not much longer! Just prior to COVID I had two athletes win state championships in the long jump and triple jump, adding to my previous champions in the high jump. I can no longer demonstrate these events to my athletes!  Since many of these kids also play in the band, I have enjoyed years of watching them play in their school concerts. Our band director just retired, and we figured out that at his last concert I was probably the only person in the audience who had been at his first concert 37 years ago! I also spent 30 years taking care of our church grounds and some building needs. I don’t miss that at all!  I still like to garden and, in addition to that, at our summer home in Princeton, Massachusetts, I have made walking trails through the 38 acres of woods we enjoy there. It seems to keep me healthy but not necessarily free of pain! Kathy is still young and sharp for which I am thankful. She spent a lot of time volunteering with the Catskill Symphony as they chose a new director. Also, as chair of a committee at our UU Church, she managed the installation of two new stained-glass windows in our church sanctuary. It was quite a process. They are beautiful! In the wider world, the war in Ukraine is so depressing. A group of my Slovak relatives live close to the Ukraine border and are involved helping fleeing refugees who have such sad tales to tell.”

A note has been received from Frank Stewart that reads: “Thankfully, we are healthy here in South Florida, but hating the politics. We have been here since my retirement from the U.S. Department of Energy in 2002. Diane is a volunteer, teaching English as a Second Language through the County Library, and I spend most days with the Lifelong Learning Institute of Nova Southeastern University, sitting in on lectures and auditing classes. So sorry to hear of John Driscoll‘s (’62) passing. He wasn’t ’61, but he was close.”

The warm summer weather appeals to Glenn Hawkes, who writes: “I’m finishing up my stay at our home in Rwanda, where one finds the best of summer weather year-round. In recent weeks I’ve visited with many of the high school graduates, for whom schooling was made possible, thanks to generous Americans, including our classmates Al Williams, Ed McClellan, and Bob Hausman.”