CLASS OF 1969 | 2021–2022 | WINTER ISSUE

Rick Pedolsky brought sad news. “Diamond Dave Driscoll died in February, the result of an earlier stroke. We hoped he would return to his jolly, grumpy, hopeful, cynical old self, but it didn’t happen.” Condolences came from Bruce Williams ’70, Eric Greene, Paul Dickman, Jim Drummond, and Bill Eaton.

Rick and Cecilia still live in Stockholm. “No retirement. Our company provides an online, interactive publishing platform for scientific, medical, and scholarly research organizations and educational institutions. Business boomed during the pandemic because this is information that has to be shared.”

Steve Knox wrote, “Roommate Eric Esterhay died this spring after years of declining health. He was talented and generous. I will miss him.”

Mark Hodgson and I met for breakfast in Old Saybrook. He lives north of Boston, along the coast. We share a love for kayaking and environmental protection. I had lunch with Phil Dundas ’70 at his Westbrook beach cottage. Swordfish, corn on the cob, salad, tempura asparagus, sugar free peppermint patties, and sparkling water. I felt virtuous. The view of Long Island Sound was mind blowing. Phil had a front row seat when Steve Bannon was removed from the Chinese tycoon’s yacht.

Rick McGauley lives on Cape Cod, “two granddaughters nearby.”

Jimmy Dreyfus mentioned some Beta ’70 names—“Steve Talbot, Dave Davis, Jeremy Serwer, Bruce Williams, and Tim Greaney.”

From Charlie Morgan, “Old age catching up. Broke toe, healed, re-injured. Doctors are puzzled.”

Carl Culler said, “Kathy and I are semi-retired on Lake Norman in North Carolina. Bought a pontoon boat.”

From Peter Arenella: “About half of the US lives in an alternative universe where facts and science do not matter. We sold our California home and now live in Mexico. Miss kids but are happy in a serene mountain village.”

Tom Goodman spent the pandemic photographing Philly, his home for the last four decades. Check tomgoodman.com for the panoramas.

John Wilson is “vaccinated and healthy.”

Peter Cunningham “attended a retreat with Zen Peacemakers and spiritual leaders of Lakota Sioux in Medicine Wheel, Wyoming.”

Ron Reisner has “a whole new life.”

Jim Drummond “makes the world safe for Texas criminals, guilty or not. My friend Jeff Richards does great work for the Actor’s Fund.”

Doug Bell is “safe, happy, still standing at 74.”

Rip Hoffman has sold his Westport townhouse and has moved to a life-care facility in Redding, Connecticut. “Will keep our social network. I do some retirement work for local pastors.

“Part of moving into Meadow Ridge is providing them with a brief biography.  I discovered that this biography was then posted on a public space for all to see.  The critical factor in this story is that the bio included that fact that I went to Wesleyan. We were here about a week, having dinner in the Bistro, and a gentleman came up to our table and said he wanted to talk to a fellow Wesleyan grad.  His name is Bob Wiley and he is from the class of 1950!  He is 99 years old.  We talk a little bit.  He said he’d be back in touch. Bob called us earlier this week and asked Mouse and I to join him and his wife for dinner.  It turns out Bob had invited another Wesleyan grad, Bob Runk, class of 1967.  I soon discover that Bob was part of Uranus and the Five Moons. I heard his group play numerous times at various house parties.  We shared a lot of memories of the late 1960s.”

Ken Elliott “is in re-inventing mode. Attentive to the garden and woods. Studying Japanese. Finding ways to participate in my community. It’s all good.”

Ed Hayes “keeps brain cells active with classes, guitar and Spanish lessons. Waiting for the ‘Aha moment.’”

Ken Kawasaki’s “What a Piece of Work is Man” is on brelief.com.

Stuart Blackburn’s new novel is set in rural Rhode Island.

John de Miranda writes, “All is well. Son and partner awaiting Peace Corps deployment to Ecuador. Carol-Ann gardens and cooks. I teach at the University of California, San Diego.”

Jack Elias has a new book: The Outrageous Guide to Being Fully Alive: Defeat Your Inner Trolls and Reclaim Your Sense of Humor.

Rameshwar Das does virtual book tours promoting his mentor’s memoir, Being Ram Dass.

Mike Fairchild “sends virtual hugs until we can all meet and greet again in the old-fashioned way.”

Pete Pfeiffer says, “Maine’s spring and summer are always a big help for us older folks.”

Bob Dombroski “recalled great Wes performances—Sun Ra, Norman Mailer, Janis Joplin, and transcending all—Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.”

John Mihalec shares his midnight pasta recipe—spaghetti, olive oil, garlic, anchovies, capers, Parmesan, and parsley.

Gordy Fain ’70 remembered a beloved mentor for both of us, Marjorie Daltry Rosenbaum, and life at MoCon. “The cooking and food prep skills I learned there I use every day here at home. Also, I’m enjoying the return of fan-friendly baseball.”

From Fred Coleman: “I’m still working full time. Telehealth is amazing and a royal pain. I work more hours, though hardly leaving the chair. Don’t mind cutting the car commute. We cancelled an Alaska cruise, so drove 4,500 miles to see family. All kids and their spouses and grandkids were with us for the Fourth. Truly, family is so important.”

We spent the Fourth with Maurice Hakim ’70 and his wife Carol. They live on a beautiful street off the Boston Post Road that ends at Clinton’s town beach. Hot dogs, cheeseburgers, baked beans, potato salad, pickles, brownie sundaes. The long isolation of the pandemic eased.

Love to all,

Charlie