Robin Cook just finished his 37th novel, and says that this year he will be attempting a new challenge of movie and TV producing. He writes, “Maybe in the course of my efforts I’ll run into Bruce Corwin, who undoubtedly learned a thing or two in the Hollywood world.”

On his Wesleyan experience, he says, “In order to get into medical school I stuck with those easier chemistry, math, and physics courses where getting an A was possible if you made it a point to spend the time to learn the material. With those harder courses—like writing or literature—one could spend weeks writing a paper and have no idea whether it would result in an A or an F.” He adds, “In many respects I wish I could go back to Wesleyan now that it has great writing and film courses.”

Robin makes another reflective point about the Wesleyan environment. He says his sophomore son is considering transferring out because he feels that the school “is so liberal that it cannot tolerate opinions to the contrary from fellow students and faculty alike.” Robin comments, “If true it’s too bad, as college should be the time to debate and question one’s beliefs.”

Not to turn the notes column into a philosophical debate forum, but I’m wondering if other classmates whose sons or daughters went to Wesleyan had similar concerns.

Walt Fricke continues racing his Porsche SC, officiating at races, and editing his Porsche Club rules. He says this involves often driving “a medium-duty truck pulling a 42-foot trailer, combined weight just shy of 26,000 pounds.” He is active in working on “coming up with non-invasive tests of engines and transmissions for forbidden improvements to performance.” He had to recover for two months from breaking his pelvis skiing last spring.

DAVID FISKE | davidfiske17@gmail.com
17 W. Buckingham Dr. Rehoboth Beach, DE 19971