Tony Mohr wrote, “The thought of retirement crosses my mind, though I’m trying lots of civil cases—malpractice, business disputes. I edit Gavel to Gavel and look for ‘judge’ stories. I’m still publishing personal essays and short stories. Beverly and I cruised Singapore to Dubai. No rain and calm seas. Always happy to hear from anyone visiting LA.”

Mac Thornton said, “I transferred to Stanford as a junior and continued in their law school with Ed Hayes. A 30-year enforcement career included time at the DOJ and HHS. I left during the Bush II era for 13 years of private practice. I’m a whitewater addict and founded the Potomac Conservancy and the West Virginia Rivers Coalition. Molly and I have two terrific children from Russia, now 17 and 18. I have fond memories of Wesleyan.”

From Bob Berkowitz: “The Reunion book warmed my heart. I’m still at CHOP and Penn School of Medicine, where I care for children and research their psychiatric disorders. The science and liberal arts at Wesleyan helped me as a person and physician. Barb and I celebrated our 49th.”

Bruce Snapp wrote in: “Here is a long overdue update for me. I have been considering attending the Reunion but cannot because of health issues. I am recovering from the lingering effects of a partial paralysis of my arms and legs cause by cervical stenosis. I had successful surgery in January, but recovering from the effects of the stenosis has been a slow process. Here is a short history. After graduating from Wesleyan, I went to the University of Michigan to study economics. While at Michigan, I met the love of my life, Jeanne Moss, and we were married in 1971. I finished my PhD. in 1974 and accepted a job in Washington with the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. In 1984, I left to become a consultant and expert witness in litigation involving antitrust and economic damages issues. I finally retired in 2015. Jeanne and I have been living in Alexandria, Va., since we moved to the Washington area. We have two daughters, Emily (40) and Juliana (37), who have turned into world travelers. Emily, who is a physical therapist, is married with two children. Six years ago, Emily and her husband, Devin, who is an E.R. physician, decided to spend a year in New Zealand but got hooked. They have been living in New Plymouth, New Zealand, for six years now and are thinking about applying for citizenship. Juliana, who is a psychiatric social worker, worked with disadvantaged women in Cambodia for six years before recently returning to the Washington area. I think this is enough for a starter. I can’t believe how fast those 50 years have gone by. Thank you for doing such a good job keeping everyone up-to-date on our classmates.”

Ted Sanderson “retired as the executive director of Rhode Island’s Historic Preservation Commission. I approved $2 billion to protect 2,500 sites. I continue to work as a member of Providence’s Historic District Commission. Carol and I live in Providence, celebrated our 50th, and have three grown children and three grandchildren.”

Pete Arenella “appreciates, in retirement, the lazy guy I am. I’m a self-taught moral philosopher who won some teaching awards at BU and UCLA. Son David suffered brain damage at birth but leads a happy life. Daughter Katherine is a clinical psychologist working with PTSD patients. Wife Mia taught me to be a good parent. She is a certified court interpreter, a great artist and mother, and the most impressive person I’ve ever met.”

Stu Blackburn retired to “Brighton, England, where I write novels, three so far. I loved every minute of the Wesleyan experience, except the football losses.”

Charlie Morgan was “on Senator Baroni’s defense team during Bridgegate. He’s in prison. Tough stuff. I’m confident he was railroaded. I’m suing the Mayflower Descendants for multiple violations of Massachusetts law. Some wins but still work to be done.”

Ken Elliott, who “exchange taught in the Czech Republic, is anticipating a 2020 retirement. My goals—friendship, home life, volunteerism, and learning. I research college teaching methods and aging in place in rural settings. Friends are always welcome in Maine.”

Bill Runyan “remembers freshman year at Wesleyan, enjoying dorms, soccer, and impressive teachers. I needed co-education, so I went to Oberlin, where I earned a degree in psychology/sociology and captained the soccer team. My psychology doctorate from Harvard led to a UC Berkeley career, 1979-2010, teaching psych and social welfare. Wife Mary Coombs teaches psych and counseling at USF. Williamrunyan.com lists some publications.”

Hugh Hoffman “did IT work for 40 years at Northwestern Mutual Life. I’m auditing classes at University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee—English, psychology, anthropology, and theater. Wife Robin helps run Scholastic Book Fairs, which supports our live theater addiction.”

John de Miranda wrote, “I’ve been married 36 years. I’m semi-retired, still doing some teaching, consulting, and research. A tobacco investigation project took me to Warsaw. That, and alcohol and drug problems, are my research focus. Our son pursues a social work license. I completed nine Wesleyan candidate interviews this year in the San Mateo area.”

Tom Earle said, “My wife and I are retired. We plan to travel but not right away. We were on Oahu in the fall to help family.”

Steve Mathews’s “children and four grandchildren all live in Nashville. Travel plans include cruising the New England coastline and portions of the Lewis and Clark Trail. Nashville hosted the NFL draft. We love the Titans and Predators and hope the Titans rebound. Nashville has much going for it—quality of life, cost of living, low taxes, and strong educational institutions. We will soon celebrate 50 years here.”

Doug Bell loves his daughter, her husband, and their entertaining 2-year-old. “I continue to develop hemp and CBD projects in Uruguay but would like to retire in 2021. I’m in touch with Harry Nothacker and Steve Hansel. Hoy’s Boys are an amazing bunch.”

John Boynton wrote, “I’m alive and in good health. Have lived and worked in Manhattan, Jeddah, London, Seoul, and Hong Kong. Right now, I’m in Cleveland with the Townsend Group. Son John Jr. works for the Shorenstein Group in San Francisco and his brother Tyler owns an oral surgery practice in Sonoma. Ex-wife Ellen died in April and twin Ralph in 2018.”

Love,

Charlie Farrow | charlesfarrow@comcast.net
11 Coulter Street, #16, Old Saybrook, CT 06475