It’s been more than 50 years that I’ve had the privilege of putting together our class notes and I can honestly report for the most part, it has been a joy. The spirit of the Crucial Class has always been evident through the notes and memos sent my way. And, I must confess that editing this edition has probably been the most difficult as the messages conveyed are those of deep sadness; the passing of my freshman roommate and the loss of a lifetime partner of a friend.

First, let me quote the words of John Ineson. “In the fall of 1955 I was at Cornell in Ithaca, just starting on studies for my MBA. One of the sororities on campus, Chi Omega, had a ‘get acquainted’ open house and the combined prospect of free food and meeting coeds was too much for me to resist. One of the coeds I met that day, Lori, became my wife two years later. She died suddenly this past July. She had been receiving long term care for dementia, but it was cancer that ultimately caused her death. I have lost my best friend of 62 years, not long after our son died in a gruesome accident. It has left a big hole in my life. Fortunately, the rest of my family, some close friends, and my church have stepped in to at least partially fill the gap and I am starting to look ahead again. I will let you know how things progress.”

John, I know I speak for all of us in extending deepest sympathies and condolences.

Thanks to Jay Shapiro for sending notification of the passing of Ben Di Iorio on Oct. 9. As many will remember, Ben was an outstanding athlete who lettered in six sports, including football, baseball, basketball, track, and swimming, and won a state championship in handball while in high school. At Wesleyan, his track team was undefeated during his four years and the entire track and field team were inducted into Wesleyan’s Sports Hall of Fame. He was probably best known for his talents as a skeet shooter and, starting at the age of 14, he was a 10-time “All American” during the 13 years he shot professionally. In 1972 he was inducted into the skeet and trap shooting hall of fame. He is survived by his children Ben III, Gregory, Bradford, Tessa, and Jamie, and their families. I’m sure Drew Clemens, like me, still has memories of Ben telling us about the role his father played in the development of skeet shooting, as well as examining the rifles Ben used in the sport.

The fact that heat, humidity, and rain throughout most of the past six months of Florida weather prevented me from reaching the yearly 5,000-mile annual biking goal doesn’t seem to be such an important item at this point. I am thankful to say I did record a hair less than 3,900 miles and more importantly, Marianne and I remain in good health and we are very happy. We did relocate to a larger condo in our development and are pleased with the additional living space while keeping our dear friends!

As always, to you and your loved ones, sincere best wishes for good health and happiness in the year ahead.

DONALD J. BRAVERMAN | ybikedon@bellsouth.net
14790 Bonaire Blvd., Apt. 210, Delray Beach, FL 33446