Once again, it is with sadness that I report the passing of several of our classmates. On May 14, Ed Rowe died suddenly in Overland, Kans. After his graduation, Ed went on to the University of Michigan and then taught biology for 30 years at Emporia State University. He is survived by his wife of more than 60 years, Lenore, and his three children. In accordance with his wishes, Ed’s body was donated for scientific research.

Bill Gordon passed away on July 9. A gifted athlete, he worked briefly for General Electric before being drafted into the Army and serving in post-war Korea. He joined Traveler’s Insurance in 1958 and after obtaining an MBA from the University of Connecticut in 1970, moved on to Colonial Insurance, before joining and leading Eastern Management Services, a personal consulting firm. Bill was an active community member, serving on numerous church committees and library and town boards and he was past-president of the Cheshire Rotary Club and First Congregational Church on the Green. He is survived by his wife, Marilyn Sue, of almost 60 years and his son, David, as well as members of his large and extended family. A devoted Wesleyan alumnus and member of Eclectic, Bill’s Wesleyan family included his father, cousins, father-in-law, and brothers-in-law. He may have been the perfect definition of “legacy.”

Wesleyan received word of the death of Elliott DeGraff, who died a year ago on Oct. 24, 2017. Elliott was a member of the Class of ’55, but earned his degree from New York University in Aeronautical Engineering. He made his first flight as a pilot in 1953 and went on to become a flight instructor. Elliott was a volunteer pilot for an animal rescue organization, Pilots N Paws , and was credited with flying 700 dogs to safety. He was happy to be a member of the Flying Octogenarians!

With sincere thanks, I’m delighted with the responses from two of my former Sigma Chi brothers. John Sheaff and wife Lois report they continue to function on “a reasonable level” in upstate New York on the Vermont border. They are fortunate to live in an area of natural beauty with access to all the mental stimulation one could desire. And truthfully, he states, “Of course at our age, no leaping over tall buildings!” Bill Shepard sent regards and best wishes while mentioning he doesn’t have “news” this time around! Always a treat to hear from you guys!

Tony Arena is enjoying life in paradise here in Florida and continues to golf with his wife. Tony, where are you residing? Perhaps, we can arrange a get-together sometime in the near future. Drop a line this way when you get a chance.

Since 1982, Andy Holmes has been working full-time running his travel agency Worldwide Cruise Headquarters on Southport Island (Boothbay Harbor) in Maine. He complains that “One of the damnable parts about selling cruises is that we have to go on them . . . thus I am not ashamed to say that we are on nine of them between now and May. Maine winters are extremely bearable when you can be away in the Caribbean on a cruise ship.” Andy, on behalf of all of us, do accept our appreciation of your trials and tribulations!

Drew Clemens and wife Julia have moved to a retirement community near their son in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. He is still writing and teaching about psychoanalysis and psychotherapy in psychiatry. He still plays tennis and his family enjoys their cottage on Lake Chautauqua.

Lots of heat and rain have marked the past several months here in Delray Beach. As with many other parts of the country, Delray Beach has been experiencing record temperatures and the heat index climbs above 100 as the sun rises. It certainly has an effect on my cycling as my riding companions agreed that reducing speeds and distances are a must, especially at our ages. To date (Sept. 21) I’ve recorded 2,661 miles, which is nearly 800 miles less than last year at this time. Still glad that my doctors tell me to continue doing what I enjoy with only one reservation; keep my heart rate below 140 bpm for the most part! If all goes well, I will participate in a fundraising ride of some 50-75 miles for muscular dystrophy. I’ve never done a fundraising ride before, but in honor of two companions who have family members stricken with this disease, I’ve signed on to ride. Marianne continues to encourage my riding. We recently celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary in July and she has been a wonderful companion!

As always, to you and your loved ones, sincere best wishes for good health and happiness in the year ahead. And, should you find a spare moment, I’d really love to hear from you.

DONALD J. BRAVERMAN | ybikedon@bellsouth.net
14790 Bonaire Blvd., Apt. 102., Delray Beach, FL 33446