The response to your secretary’s plea for class note material has always been gratifying and entertaining as well. For example, Allen Thomas replied: Dear Jon, I answer your call in kind:

Business as usual, still working away/ Now it’s the Russians, who pay for my day.

Law is my game, over 54 years./ London’s my home, but not the warm beers.

House in the Berkshires, share with grandkids/ Over the Atlantic, ’til aging forbids.

Health holding up, I’m still on the skis/Keeping up with the kids, no longer a breeze.

Life here is good, away from mad Trump/ Tho’ Brexit is likely, to give us a thump.

If doggerel’s the game: my contribution./ Rebirth of civility’s the only solution.

Vic Butterfield is needed, now more than ever

To leave our grandkids, a viable endeavor.

Congratulations to Robert Johnson for his financial support of the Florida Venice Symphony, recognized by his participation in two concert performances as a member of the percussion section. One might call it “getting a terrific bang for your buck.”

Congratulations to Dan Elliott, who writes: “My Wes grad daughter is getting married in Cleveland in October, and then, with hubby, moves to Palo Alto where he will be a radiologist at Stanford and she will do research in the criminal justice field—and I will be broke after the wedding.”

Lewis Kirshner writes: “I am happy to report that I am enjoying living for a year in Amsterdam while my wife is on sabbatical. I am busy doing internet psycho-analysis and teaching to faraway places. Here in town I’m taking studio painting classes, doing some writing, and biking around town. It’s a pretty full life that I am fortunate to have, and it’s not bad being an expat away for a while!”

Jack Mitchell provides workshops and motivational speeches throughout the world. His third book, Selling the Hug Your Customer’s Way: The Proven Process for Becoming a Passionate and Successful Salesperson for Life, is being published by McGraw-Hill this spring. Serving on the President’s Council, Jack writes: “The thing I am most proud of, regarding Wesleyan, is that our granddaughter, Dana Mitchell ’18, is graduating from Wesleyan this spring.”

Richard Poulton expressed enjoyment in receiving a poetic plea for information: “I enjoy the thought of being asked to contribute to Class Notes in this year, the 60th after I sorrowfully left Wesleyan! You might possibly recall that I was one of the 13 overseas students who were privileged to be on Wesleyan’s one-year Foreign Student program in 1957-1958, so my leaving in that latter year was inevitable. I had the good fortune to come back to England, to Cambridge University, whence I graduated in 1961, so I have always been happy to be counted as one of that class. I then took training as a teacher, and enjoyed a 35-year career in education before ’retiring’ and spending a further 12 years working in or for various charities, all of which related primarily to young people. I have been extraordinarily lucky in the places and the positions in which I have found myself—but to start on an account of six decades of ’Life, the Universe, and Everything’ is surely more than you were expecting or needing. I shall be happy if, through you, I can convey my heartfelt thanks to the University and especially to any members of the classes 1958-1961 for that formative year, which I value more than any other single year in my life. I would also be delighted to become an occasional correspondent with anyone who might just remember me, though I think the chances of that are very, very small!”

Jack Richards has provided this update: “I’ve finally retired after many pleasant and fun-filled years as an orthopedic surgeon. My somewhat unconventional personal life has led to 21 wonderful years of marriage to Carol. We have five ’kids’ and 10 grandkids (Brady Bunch). We live in Halfmoon, N.Y., and Bonita Springs, Fla. Like all of us, I’ve got a few health issues, but I still can get around the golf course and spend a lot of time singing in a barbershop quartet. As a good friend said to me at my 78th birthday party, ’You don’t look 78, but I can remember when you did!’ I spent one year over in Cu’ Chi, Vietnam in 1968. Great experience with the closeness you felt with the people around you, but full of tragic surgery. I couldn’t end the war so I had to send Russ Robertson over to mop up. I regret not keeping in touch with Wesleyan friends, but I often think fondly of Wesleyan days and classmates. How I’d love to spend one more night with my Psi U roommates Quent Roberts and Beau Bailey. Great years!”

Respectfully submitted,

Jon K. Magendanz, DDS | jon@magendanz.com
902 39th Avenue West, Bradenton, FL 34205