Barney Kathan sent me copies of two extraordinary books he had authored over the past year-and-a-half. The first one, My Prospects: Growing Up and Growing Old in a Small Connecticut Town, detailed his journey through life from a small farm to his career in the ministry and beyond. He was involved in some of the major changes in his town, church, library, and school district, and was a leader in the town’s successful celebrations. Barney’s second book, American Holy Days: The Heart and Soul of Our National Holidays, provided an invaluable primer of the history and significance of America’s special days. Again, Barney goes into extraordinary detail about these special days and how they came about.

Chris DeGraff wrote from West Hartford that he and his wife, Sandy, had a family get-together for the Thanksgiving and the Christmas holidays. Chris was looking forward to hitting the slopes and had already bought his season pass. They thought about taking a trip to Europe this past summer, but decided against it because of the turmoil abroad.

Frank Hassell moved into a retirement residence at Bay Village in Sarasota, Fla. He wrote that he is no longer up for traveling, but fortunately family members are able to visit him. He reminded me that during our undergraduate years, he, his wife, and subsequent two sons, lived on campus, sponsored by his family and the G.I. Bill, which helped many of us. Frank is much older than the rest of us and at 95, still holds that distinction. Frank wrote, “Wesleyan was a very meaningful experience for me and I am grateful for the advantages I received. A gift to Wesleyan will be forthcoming after I pass on.”

Along with Frank’s note, I received word that Dean Egly, a fraternity brother of mine, had passed away on March 26, 2017. I’d appreciate hearing from any class members who received this magazine.

DAVID M. PHILIPS | davephilips69@hotmail.com
43 Cannon Street, Cranston, RI 02920-7620