Jeff Powell, retired M.D., writes, “I had fun with Rob Pratt as we both have sailboats on Casco Bay near Portland, Maine. Where have the past 47 years gone?”

Jeff Powell '69 and Robb Pratt '69
Jeff Powell ’69 and Robb Pratt ’69

Paul Melrose’s “grandchildren grow bigger. Since we live closer, we are no longer special, just the normal routine. I’m career coaching, especially clergy. Madison, Wis., is a great place to live.”

Ken Kawasaki and wife, Visakha, were “never gardeners, but with 365 days of warm weather, it’s easy. Plant a turnip, get a turnip. What we would give for a good Brussels sprout. Not much frost here. We’ve built three monkey cages: veggies inside, monkeys outside. Fed up with American politics? Come help us set up a cooperative. Sri Lanka is good, and Kandy is great. We have solar hot water and plan to go off the grid.”

John Mihalec “listened to an interview with Tony-winning Broadway director Thomas Kail ’99 on the Wesleyan website. Steve Pfeiffer introduced Kail to Wes, where Kail met Lin Maneul Miranda ’02 and collaborated on expanding Miranda’s Wes-created nugget of songs into a musical, In the Heights. Their latest collaboration is Hamilton...Who knew that sans Pfeiffer, no Hamilton?”

Jim Adkins “now works just a half day a week as an ENT in Tampa, Va. Thirty-eight years of medicine. That’s enough. Two grown kids, each with two children. All are well. Looking forward to traveling more.”

Joe Borcynski writes, “Still alive. Grateful.”

Charles Elbot and his wife “had a delightful visit with Alan Wallace ’70 and Barb Watson ’71, both spry and youthful. Miguel Gomez-Ibãnez ’71 heads the North Bennet Street School in Boston. I work part-time as a leadership coach in the Denver schools. Sons live nearby, so I’m lucky. I remain appreciative of my Wesleyan time.”

Mark Hodgson’s “wife passed away on July 7, sooner than we expected. Being alone for the first time in 38 years is a challenge, but I’m staying busy. One positive thought is how much I have learned about Judi, even after she is gone, and the ways I loved her without even knowing it, and how much my life was changed by her for the better.”

Bill Sketchley was “forced by disability to retire from city planning in 1998. More life and less money is not a bad trade. I contacted Karin Swanson, Mike Hulett’s former wife, by chance in 2015. Interesting perspective on the past.”

Doug Bell is “plugging away. Grasslands Fund is capped with 43 partner/investors. We have 1,500 leased/owned acres growing hemp, raising free-range pigs, and the finishing feed. I manage agricultural projects in Uruguay that include the above, as well as cattle and crops.”

Tom Earle “stays productive. I spent the summer renovating an investment house and worked nonstop. Now I’m back to teaching, a lot easier than tiling and installing cabinets. Maj and I have three grandchildren and enjoy them immensely.”

Tony Mohr and “Bev enjoy their rescued Lhasa Apsos—Ben and Jerry. We witnessed a friend’s wedding in Écully, France, at the Mairie. Lots of fun.”

Dave Siegel has “20 years as chief of medicine at VA Northern California Health Care System and professor and vice chair of internal medicine at UC Davis. I wrote extensively about hypertension and dyslipidemia. I have four grandchildren. Maybe retirement next June when youngest son graduates from medical school, but the thought fills me with anxiety.”

Steve Pfeiffer “sits on a ranch in Livingston, Mont., awaiting Rick Ketterer, John Stinchfield, Jerry Parker, Marc Pickard ’70, and brother Vic ’71 for the annual Wes mini-reunion. Everyone is in good health and spirits. Fishing, hiking, stories, a bit of drinking, and a few cigars. We applaud that Don Russell is now in the Wesleyan Hall of Fame. He coached three Little Three championship teams in our era and was instrumental in the building of the Freeman Athletic Center.”

Rick Pedolsky “enjoys working at a start-up after all these years. Who’s crazy? Spinning off from our interactive museum work, we provide a multimedia system for presenting scientific, medical, and scholarly research: iPosterSessions.com.”

Rick Vila “ran the New York City Marathon to celebrate becoming 70. Sold air charter based on Block Island. Still landscape for residents. Spend winters in Crested Butte pursuing love for aggressive downhill skiing. Sees Walt Filkins ’70 and Pete Canoni.”

Siegfried Beer was “a Larry Gemeinhardt student from ’68 to ’69, which was significant for my career as a history professor in Graz, Austria. I now direct the Botstiber Institute of Austrian-American Studies in Media, Pa. Four children, all American citizens, have gifted me five grandchildren. Sadly, last February, my American wife, whom I wed in the Wesleyan chapel, unexpectedly passed away.”

John Bach “works to stop the proliferation of cluster bombs. Since the U.S. will no longer traffic them, it’s nice to get a victory.”

Barry Turnrose’s “son Erik and wife Dawn had our first grandchild, Jenna Joy Turnrose, the light of our lives. Class of ’38?”

Mike Fairchild did “photography in Hawaii to celebrate my 70th birthday and 50th state. Son, Scott ’00, manages the senate campaign for Catherine Masto, the Nevada attorney general who wants Harry Reid’s seat. Daughter Marnie is a major donor officer for Amnesty International. I saw Bill Redkey ’68, who lives in Heber City, Utah.”

Steve Broker and “Linda visited St. Andrews, New Brunswick, then Grand Manan Island—birding, fishing, lobstering. We visited with Greg McHone there, who succeeded me at Wesleyan’s GLSP program. About to have my right hip replaced and look forward to restored mobility.”

John Crigler and “Steve Darnell met in Middletown for lunch and a campus stroll. Ran into summer security when we visited Clark and Foss. I saw Joe Reed and his wife, Kit.”

Alex Knopp is “president of Norwalk Public Library Directors. Bette’s finishing her novel. Daughter Jess teaches Head Start. Son Andrew writes for an Internet comedy site.”

Darius Brubeck “moved to Rye, East Sussex. I will spend Christmas in Venice with my grandchildren, Nathaniel Elmer ’14 and Lydia ’17. Years Ago available online.”

Bob Watson had “a great family vacation in Iceland where I presented a paper on dreams at a psychoanalytic conference.”

Always love,

Charlie Farrow | charlesfarrow@comcast.net
11 Coulter Street, #16, Old Saybrook, CT 06475