Last fall, Margie and I drove from St. Simons Island to Savannah for a weekend visit with Janet and Fred Irwin ’51, who was celebrating a birthday. Fred was my roommate at Delta Tau. We had a great time wining and dining, and they took us to the Jepson Center for the Arts, featuring Impressionist paintings, including several by Monet.

Shortly after Christmas, I telephoned Bob Fithian and his wife, Becky. Bob was the president of Delta Tau Delta our senior year. Bob and Becky live in Marietta, Ga., where they were part-time antique dealers. Unfortunately, Bob broke his hip and back, and Becky is recovering from a stroke, so they now have permanent caregivers, but we enjoyed reminiscing about our Wesleyan days.

I had a nice talk with Bill Malamud, a fraternity brother at Delta Tau Delta. He is a retired psychiatrist and now lives in LaSalle Village in Massachusetts. His wife, Camille, died several years ago, but they had five children and a very happy marriage. He said that he is “very active and still has all his hair.” It was good to talk with him after all these years.

I am sorry to report that Bob Metz died of pneumonia on Dec. 13, 2015. Bob was a member of Sigma Nu. He loved theater and was very active in plays at Wesleyan. He was “proud of being a native New Yorker and of never living anywhere else.” He was president and CEO of United Media, a licensing and newspaper-syndication company.

Roger Haskell was kind enough to inform me of the passing of his friend Warren Kaufmann: “Dear Bud, This is to inform you that Warren R. Kaufmann, Sigma Nu, died quietly in his sleep on Feb. 18, 2016, at his home in Sarasota. He was preceded in death by his son. He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Cynthia, three other children, nine grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren. Warren was retired from the Chemical Bank of NYC after a long and successful career as a vice president. I could give you much more info about his life, since Warren and I maintained a very close friendship over all those years

“I am a retired physician from the US Public Health Service, after 16 years providing medical care to Native Americans all over the western U.S. I am enjoying my retirement with my wife, Edna, in Greer, S.C. Warm regards.”

We also regret the loss of Fred Pitts, who participated in football and wrestling, and was a member of Chi Psi. He was an art major, but later changed his focus from art to medicine. He specialized in neurological surgery. After retiring from medicine, he relocated to Costa Rica, where he ran his sheep ranch for 35 years. He died a year ago, but a memorial service was scheduled for March 21, 2016, at Arlington National Cemetery.

Bud Dorsey | margiedorsey5@gmail.com

161 Shore Rush Drive St. Simons Island, GA, 31522

912/638-5616