Sue and Jim Dover went on a 10-week trip to Belgium, the Netherlands, and Norway from mid-April to June 2013. They were on a riverboat at tulip time in Holland and Belgium and later took a maritime cruise along the coast of northern Norway. Jim is working on a Shutterfly book that will document their travels and that will be useful for reliving the experience in their “old age.”

Chris Campbell wrote the following: “When I was a kid there was a radio announcer in Providence called Ernie Anderson (1923–1997). He was very funny and was a really popular radio personality. He did not stay long in Providence before being lured away by WHK in Cleveland.

“One of the songs that Ernie often played is etched in my memory and it comes back whenever I read about persistence in the face of enormous difficulty. The song was the sound of a military bugler during a charge. Every time he sounds the charge, his bugle is struck by a bullet or some other missile. For a moment there is no sound, and then the bugler sounds the charge anew only to be struck down again and again and again. The music becomes more and more ragged, but the charge continues through the song’s fade-out. The bugler seems almost impossible to halt and the listener gets the feeling that the bugler is indeed damaged but unstoppable. Every time Ernie Anderson played that song I laughed, but I also got a strong sense of how important it is to keep chugging ahead because none of the alternatives seems any better.

“After 65 we all become bugle players, charging into a fresh battle each time we step out of bed in the morning. It is what we do because the alternatives are dismal. Damaged or not we charge into battle because we never live so well as when overcoming something that could do us in.”

The 5th Bolivian Conference on Development Economics was hosted by Universidad Pravada de Santa Cruz de la Sierra on Nov. 14 –15, 2013. It was attended by about 330 persons (a 64 percent increase compared to last year) from 13 countries and consisted of three keynote lectures, a round-table discussion on energy, and 50 contributed research papers. The Bolivian Academy of Economic Sciences selected the best papers at the conference and was represented by President Enrique Garcia-Ayaviri.

The following message was received from Mario Damiata (mddamiata@aol.com): “My father passed away on the Wesleyan campus in June 1960 when he went into sudden cardiac arrest. He was an employee of the university at the time. I am writing to try and locate the two seniors who were on campus that day and tried to revive him. After all of these years I would like to express my gratitude for their efforts. I am sure those involved will remember the incident. Could you please pass along this message to members of the Class of 1960 in the hope that those students might still be alive and may contact me. Thank you. P.S.: I was accepted into the Class of 1970 but elected to attend another college.” Please contact Mario Damiata if you know anything about this incident in June 1960.

SAL RUSSO | salandjudy@hotmail.com
2700 Kentucky St., Bellingham, WA 98229