Class of 2011 | 2014 | Issue 1

Hope as many of you who could returned to Wes for Homecoming to watch our Wesleyan Football team capture the Little Three Football Title with its win over Williams! Go Wes! As for the Class of 2011, many exciting updates to report!

In California, Bradley Spahn and Maryann Platt have both started PhD programs. Maryann reports, “I moved to sunny Irvine, Calif., to start my PhD in neuroscience!” Bradley is at Stanford, pursuing his PhD in political science.

Terrence Agbi, Jasmin Rahman, and Margaret Aldredge are also pursuing graduate educations. Keep up the good work, class of 2011! Terrance says, “I’m at NYU School of Engineering getting a master’s in management, with a focus on e-commerce and technology management. I’m also working at Dumbo Incubator part time.” Jasmin Rehman writes, “I’m wrapping up my second year of a master’s in social work program at The University of Chicago’s School of Social Service Administration. I’m most likely sticking around Chicago post graduation.” Margaret is working at MoMA PS1 in Long Island City, Queens, as a curatorial assistant and just started a master’s program at the Institute of Fine Arts, NYU.

Samantha Pearlman reports, “I’ve been living in Philadelphia since graduation and working as a professional actress. My thesis show, Devotedly, Sincerely Yours, had its post-graduation premiere in the 2012 Philadelphia Fringe Festival. From that production, I was invited to bring the show to the Annenberg Center for Performing Arts at UPenn as part of their By-Local Series this past October. In the next year, I will be performing in assorted plays and musicals in the Philadelphia area, as I relocate to NYC in 2014.”

Mike Rosen has moved from Less Williamsburg to Mostly Williamsburg, where he lives with Myles Potters ’12 and practices such alternative lifestyles as veganism, “dating,” and “work.” He sends hair-related updates: Josh Smith had (for a short time) shaved his goatee whereas Louis Russo has maintained his luxurious locks. Mike performs poetry still sometimes and has, believe it or not, been informed that he looks like Macklemore.

Olivia Parkes says, “After graduation, I worked in London as an archivist for Film Finances, dealing principally with material from post-war British cinema. In November of last year I moved to Berlin, where I applied to the Universität der Künste to study Bildende Kunst (Fine Art). I started the first year of the degree this fall.”

Jared Gimbel finished the one-year fellowship at the Paideia Institute in Stockholm and is now in the master’s program in Jewish civilizations at the Hochschule für Jüdische Studien Heidelberg. In 2013, he founded “Present Presence,” a media initiative focused on showcasing contemporary Jewry throughout the world, and his upcoming master’s thesis focuses on perspectives and portrayals of Jewish life in Finland and in Greece.

Elana Scudder writes, “Mike Gaines and I have recently moved to New Orleans and we adopted a very cute and lovable dog! Mike is in his first year of law school at Tulane and I am busy saving the world, one cake at a time!”

Seth Alter has been self-employed in Boston for a year as a video game developer. After a year of development, much showcasing at festivals such as PAX East, and a successful Kickstarter campaign, Seth released his first game, Neocolonialism, in November (subalterngames.com). Neocolonialism is a Marxist strategy game in which players attempt to extract as much wealth from the world as possible. Seth now spends his days catching up on sleep and planning the next game.

Jon Sheehan reports, “I’m in Virginia working on the McAuliffe campaign.”

Lots of great updates! Keep it coming!

Allie Southam
asoutham@wesleyan.edu