CLASS OF 1983 | 2023 | SUMMER ISSUE

Greetings!

Thank you for the memories. Space is limited so I’ve edited a bit. I suppose if I asked all to share their memories, I ought to participate, too. Let’s see . . . happiest memories were hanging in the kitchen with my housemates at 77 Home Avenue, drinking horribly bad cheap wine (ladies, sending hugs) and singing with my freshman roommate at the top of our lungs in Foss 10. (Kitty, do you remember which songs?) Favorite class was Susan Foster’s modern dance, sophomore year. I remember morphing in and out of tableaus with my fellow dancers as if we were one spirit; it was electrifying. In memoriam, I salute sociology professors O’Gorman and Hyman. They are two kind souls who set me on my path—albeit with a short stint in business first. On the Shoulders of Giants, we follow. I bow to them in gratitude.

Tim Brockett reminisces: “The opportunity to connect with professors who were older, wiser, and in positions of power. It was my good fortune to enroll in a geology class taught by Professor Jelle de Boer one fall semester a long time ago. Professor de Boer was brilliant, articulate, knowledgeable, and tremendously caring toward his students. At his suggestion I traveled at my own expense to Costa Rica to work with a graduate student, Larry Lew, for a few weeks. We mapped the bedrock geology of a dense coastal jungle just south of the warring Nicaraguan border. We lived on the beach like Robinson Crusoe . . . . Another gray-haired professor invited me to a party at his home. I brought a lovely date and we danced with other Wesleyan students in his second-floor bachelor apartment. One young student I vaguely knew remained; she sat on the edge of his bed and appeared sad and a little frightened. I wanted to take her with me but she sat steadfast, almost frozen in place. Those were my happiest and most painful Wesleyan experiences.”

Paul Halliday gives a shout-out to a few of the many faculty who had a lasting effect on him including, Vera Schwartz (Modern Chinese Intellectual History) who, “in our first meeting, asked us to think of ourselves as intellectuals—lightning strike”; Richie Adelstein, Brian Fay, and Don Moon (three years of CSS colloquia) who, “modeled how thinking hard could be loads of fun; the ideas they shared remain fundamental to how I think about many things”; Roger Solie (orchestra conductor and chamber music mentor) who, “always conveyed the joy of music, and showed how that joy grows the more you work at it”; and Peter Kilby (Intro Econ) who touted, “Why take economics? You’ll always read the newspaper with a more critical eye.” Paul hears his voice every time he encounters poorly reported or badly misrepresented data, which is all too often.

Karyn Ellis shared a few memories and a bit of decadence: The primal scream after Reagan was elected (“Wow, did people let loose”); wandering the Olin stacks in an altered state and every book “we pulled off the shelves had incredibly deep meaning”; and the famed Taylor Estate parties for which our class is legend.

Mark Kushner remembers the “Come as You Aren’t” parties at Taylor Estate; co-op cooking with Ben Binswanger, Dave Loo, Steve Maslow, and others; dating the now long-married Aileen Mix; the 40 Plays in 40 Days modern drama class; and spring break in Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head with the tennis team.

Pivoting next to classmate news: Jeffrey Shear was promoted to first deputy commissioner at the New York City Department of Finance. Megan Norris writes “Professionally, my long-planned attempt at early retirement failed, and now I find myself as CEO of Michigan’s oldest law firm. A little surprising to my family, since I did not own a suit.” Her daughter, Taylor Matthew ’17, “is an incredibly independent kid who decided to live five blocks from us in Detroit. Though it won’t last forever, I am enjoying it while I can.” Megan adds she wishes AARP would quit sending things!

Roger Blissett is “excited to share that on May 9, 2023, I will be honored at the 25th Anniversary Gala for ExpandED Schools, a New York City based nonprofit dedicated to ensuring that all young people in New York City have access to enriching afterschool programs.” A link to the gala is here: Events – ExpandEd Schools.

On a sad note, we recently received notice our classmate Dunbar Gram passed away last August. His obituary can be read at gainesville.com/obituaries/pgai0294414.

Hope to see you at the 40th!