CLASS OF 1956 | 2023 | SUMMER ISSUE

Walter Ebmeyer writes: “A short note to assure you I am still alive. Now living in an ‘old folks’ home in Silver Spring, Maryland, just outside northwest Washington. Two wonderful children and six grands.” From our perspective, Walt, that’s not just news—it’s the best possible news.

More good news from Bob Bretscher: “I’m now in my very well-equipped retirement home at Presbyterian Village in Athens, Georgia. My phone number is unchanged. Naturally I miss sweet Ann. My warmest best to you all.”

Jim Gramentine puts a positive spin on not-so-great circumstances: “Was there a holiday season at the end of last year? I’m rather hazy about that but now, mid-February, I seem to be mostly out of the fog. The culprit was a rare E. coli infection in my left calf and knee. Two operations by different surgeons, with four incisions, quickly followed diagnosis. After a week in two hospitals and four in rehab, I talked my way into coming home. Since then, I have progressed from a wheelchair to a walker to a rollator. Still can’t walk, but that will come.” Jim and Ray have relocated from suburban Mequon to big-city Milwaukee—with a great view of Lake Michigan.

Overlapping reports from Dick Bauer and Jim Wagner.

From Dick: “I’ve been in touch with Jim Wagner, nudging him to contact my brother, Doug, who had just moved into Greenspring, a CCRC in Springfield, Virginia. Turns out they are near neighbors and have connected. Small world department.

“Recently I joined with one of our residents, a superb classical pianist, to do a concert in our main auditorium. I delved into the American Songbook, picked out nine songs on the theme of time, memory, and making the most of our twilight years. Among them were The Way We Were, Kisses Sweeter than Wine, and Here’s to Life. I can’t say it was Kennedy Center performance level, but the audience was great, and it was comforting to be able to make even a modest contribution to others’ flourishing.”

Now from Jim: “I finally met Doug Bauer. Doug just recently moved into the Greenspring senior living community here in Springfield, where my wife and I have lived the past three years.

“I recently gave part one of a talk on the history of weather forecasting to a group called the Science Forum here at Greenspring, one of over a hundred clubs and interest groups here. Part two is coming up at the end of March, where among other things, I will discuss chaos theory. This interesting subject, which explains why weather forecasts will never be perfect, was discovered by Ed Lorenz, one of my professors at MIT, while I was there studying meteorology after graduating from Wesleyan.

“On Valentine’s Day, my wife Betty and I participated in a wedding-vow-renewal ceremony along with several other couples who live here. After the ceremony, we were given a champagne and wedding-cake reception, followed by dancing, which all of us were still able to do (more or less)! Several of our children and grandchildren were also present and had lots of fun.”

John Foster writes: “Lila and I have been fortunate in many ways over our 60-plus years of marriage. The only unfortunate happening was the loss of our dear daughter at the age of 27 while traveling in Nepal. Perhaps the most fortunate was my averting a plunge into the depths of Alzheimer’s thanks to participating in a drug trial that overall had questionable benefits to most of my cohorts.

“We continue to be able to live in our home of 50-plus years in Marblehead. I am trying to stay fit enough to handle household chores by participating in an aqua exercise class at our excellent Y.

“We are again fortunate to have cultural opportunities nearby: a lecture series from a historic social club in next-door Salem; two small but worthy symphony orchestras are in the area. We recently heard an extraordinary and serendipitous concert with an outstanding young Japanese violinist who dazzled the audience in Vivaldi’s Four Seasons.

“Our best to you and all.”

Finally, from Bob Calvin: “I have been meaning to wish you a happy Chinese New Year of the Rabbit. Did you celebrate with moon cakes? I remember you used to take the ‘children’ into the city to see the parade and festivities. Jane and I visited some Chinese friends who recently moved here from Beijing for a delicious New Year’s meal of dumplings and exotic tea. Not much news at this end, which maybe is good.” 

To Bob: No moon cakes here. General Tso’s chicken and moo shu pork instead, with “the children,” their partners, and our one and only granddaughter, a UVM senior.