CLASS OF 1994 | 2023 | SPRING ISSUE

Hello everyone! As we draw near to closing out another year, I (Caissa) pray that everyone is doing well; that all are hopeful, encouraged, and looking for reasons to be joyful. I am happy to report that my family and I are well. As we enter the holiday season, I am trying out some new dessert recipes; carving out time to write and paint; all while I juggle my work responsibilities and the many doors that the Lord is opening to me. Having recently celebrated Thanksgiving, I am especially thankful for my family and friends and the opportunity to connect, reflect, and recharge. Also, I’d like to send a shout-out the Miriam Suazo, who continues to minister through dance. Perhaps we can get her to share a video link to add to the digital edition of the Class Notes. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to the entire Wesleyan community.

Ethan Hollander writes, that his 24-lecture series called Democracy and Its Alternatives was just published on Wondrium, formerly known as The Great Courses. Ethan states that the course is very timely, and addresses questions like: “Does democracy have a future? What’s causing it to falter? And is there anything we can do about it?” You can stream it at Wondrium.com; buy it at TheGreatCourses.com; or get it wherever great audiobooks are sold.

Josh Thomases writes, “I have never gotten around to sending in news, but here goes . . . .”  He writes that he and his wife have been living in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn, for the last 20 years with their two sons, who are now teenagers. Josh notes that the past decade has seen a lot of change and interesting projects for him. He sat on NYC Schools Chancellor Dennis Walcott’s cabinet, leading the instructional work and overseeing the city’s college and career-ready agenda. Since then, he has led in higher education and the charter sector. Most recently he decided to launch his own educational consulting business: IPsquared (at the intersection of program and potential). He writes, “It’s been fantastic so far, allowing me to work closely with extraordinary leaders in schools, districts, museums, and ed-tech toward goals that will impact the lives of children. Plus, it gives me a great excuse to spend time reconnecting with old friends and colleagues, from Ben Pappas, Terry Johnson, Reed Cundiff, and Mike Goodman to Sondy Youdelman and Debbie Marcus ’96. The last few years have certainly had their ups and downs, but I find myself feeling very blessed. I have loved hanging with my family, coaching my son’s baseball teams, going hiking outside the city, and playing with our scruffy dog.”