CLASS OF 1955 | 2022 | FALL ISSUE

My thanks to Tom Nall for submitting his thoughtful comments that prevented an absence of communication from classmates for this edition of Class Notes. Tom kindly wrote: “I don’t have any news (I guess that’s a good thing). Just wanted to say ‘hi’ and see how you’re doing.” RIGHT ON, MY FRIEND!

On the home front, Marianne and I have moved to Bethesda, Maryland, from Florida as we believed it was advisable to be closer to my family. Good thing is we now reside in a condominium building that is only a 10-minute walk from my son Peter’s home! At this age, knowing “HELP,” if needed, is nearby makes good sense. As for cycling, my knees still ache despite orthopedic treatments, and I’ve limited my current activity to a stationary bike and leg weights, which are available in our building’s fitness center directly across the hall from our apartment. I will always have wonderful memories of the miles and friendships experienced for many years on my bicycle in Florida. Facing reality can be difficult at times!

I was delighted to receive a text from Paul Tractenberg ’60, a fellow former cyclist, who offered suggestions on several methods for trying to relieve the knee pain I have had. He asked me to “keep the regimen up and keep inspiring the YOUNGER Wes alums!” His kind words certainly reaffirm my strong feelings of the real benefits of cycling—that of meeting such grand people.

Unfortunately, I received the news that Tony Arena passed on August 17, 2022. My condolences to his wife, children, grandchildren, and classmates. His obituary can be read here: https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/middletownpress/name/anthony-arena-obituary?id=36442524.

As always, my warmest good wishes to you and your loved ones. May your days be filled with good health and happiness.