CLASS OF 1990 | 2022 | FALL ISSUE

Hi all! Here’s what we have since our last issue:

Alfredo Viegas writes that his oldest Alessandra ’20 “will be heading to USC this August to start her MFA and we will be making it a cross-country drive from NYC. Along the way we will meet up with my other daughter, Ariana, who will be a rising junior at Colorado College. My son Alex will also be a rising junior at Boston University. Likely, there is grad/professional school for the other two so it looks like no early retirement for me!”

Amy Zucker Morgenstern is going back to school to pursue a Doctor of Ministry in theology and the arts at the United Theological School of the Twin Cities, while continuing as a minister of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Palo Alto, California, where she has been since 2003. “I want to use art to further energize my congregation’s justice work. When I double majored in religious studies and studio art and did political work at Wes, I never imagined how those three threads would keep intertwining all these years later.” Amy also wrote that she was sad to learn of the death last month of retired professor of religion, Jeremy Zwelling. I would add here that while I was not a religious studies major at Wes, I share wonderful memories of Professor Zwelling, his personal kindness and his passionate and insightful teaching.

Victor Khodadad “will be singing the roles of Faust and Gonzalve in a French double bill of Lili Boulanger’s Faust et Helene and Maurice Ravel’s L’heure espagnole with New Camerata Opera in September of 2022. The production will take place at the Irondale Center in Brooklyn, New York, and will be sung in French and accompanied by orchestra. Please visit www.newcamerataopera.org for more information. Victor is a member of the company’s Artistic Committee and helps to lead the company with all elements of production including its children’s opera branch Camerata Piccola and its online video opera branch CamerataWorks.”

Tim Hintz is still living in Brookline, Massachusetts, and has been working as a counselor at one of the schools in town, “so I have a miniscule commute and then often keep in touch with people on my longer, after-school walks. I talked about schools and kids with Amy Robins of Milton, Massachusetts, and kvetch about local politics with Denise Casper, who lives in Brookline as well. I was reminded this year of the column that Andrew Siff wrote about me, Bill Sherman, and Andy Spear our senior year at Wes. We were rather enthusiastic and vocal fans of Wesleyan football, which seemingly made for good copy for the Argus. In 2022, I have been fortunate to visit all three of them in their homes—Spear is in his hometown of Berkeley, California, teaching high school; Siff is in NYC reporting on the news (he and I attended the middle-age sing-along at Madison Square Garden known as the Billy Joel residency. Siff is still 100 % on his game in Billy Joel knowledge). I finally saw Bill in Seattle at the end of a camping trip to Alaska with my family. He is still working hard for the attorney general to make sure that Washington’s air and water is clean. Also working hard is Meg Steele, whose history tours of Bath, Maine, are a must if you are visiting the MidCoast region.”

In April, Stephanie Donohue Pilla started a new job as assistant director of leadership giving at the Ethical Culture Fieldston School. “If any of you attended or your kids attend/ed, please reach out to me; I’d love to connect!  In May, I spent a lovely afternoon in downtown NYC with Cameron Gearen ’91who was in the city for a wedding. In early August, I was in San Francisco, via Hawaii, and had lunch with Carolyn Gencarella. She had just returned from a trip to Spain and Portugal with Peter Brastow. Unfortunately, I didn’t see Peter because he was still in Europe on sabbatical. Their oldest son graduated from Lewis & Clark last spring and their younger son is a junior at UCLA. At the end of August, I spent time with Janet Hamada and her family for a few days in between East Coast college visits for her daughter who is a senior in high school. In September, my daughter started high school at Convent of the Sacred Heart, an all-girls independent school where Peggy Savino serves as the head of the Upper School!”

I’m sending in these notes as I head to Cape Cod for a week away with my husband David and three children (Eliza, 24; Jack, 21; and Camryn, 16). Summer will be long over by the time you are reading these notes, so signing off, I wish you all a fall/winter of health and happiness. Looking forward to hearing from you!