CLASS OF 1995 | 2021–2022 | WINTER ISSUE

Hello fellow ’95ers!

Bo Bell writing here with updates, starting with some sad news from Danny Greene, Leslie (Katz) Genova, and Sarah Hirzel: Our dear friend and classmate Andy Neiman passed away in June. Leslie, Danny, Sarah, Gregg Osofsky, Jennifer (Scheff) Ransburg, Tomer Rothschild ’94, and Jessica Sharzer ’94 gathered in St. Louis to remember him at a memorial service, with many more Wes friends joining online. Many of you will remember Andy’s energy, creativity, and his pie-themed parties. He was a one-of-a-kind person and friend, and we miss him terribly. Donations in Andy’s memory may be made to the National Alliance of Mental Illness, the St. Louis Shakespeare Festival, or to his family. We hope everyone will see a Shakespeare play and eat a slice of pie in his memory.

Former class secretary Dwayne Busby was recently appointed to the board of directors of JSC Federal Credit Union, strengthening that institution’s connection to University of Houston–Clear Lake, where Dwayne is executive director of Strategic Partnerships. Dwayne said that he’s so excited about this, because JSC FCU recently finalized their new strategic plan that aimed to become more of a digital resource to the community to which it provides financial resources; his joining the board is helping the credit union become more agile in that way. Nice work, Dwayne!

“Meanne” Jeanne Bonner writes: “All is well in Connecticut where I moved in 2017 with my partner and my son, Leo, who is now 9. I’m headed to New York in August for a short-term fellowship I won at the New York Public Library to do some research on an Italian writer who survived the Holocaust and whose work I am translating into English. I still work part-time as a news editor at CNN while also teaching writing and literature part-time. I sometimes even teach at Wes! When I returned to campus in 2019, I felt as though I was walking with the ghosts of Jeanne Past! It was actually a thrill, and the campus has changed in some very good ways. Lots of benches to sit back and enjoy!”

Scott Rubin just started a new position as Assistant Vice President of Development at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx. Looking forward to advancing Einstein’s social justice mission and raising funds for groundbreaking research and top-notch medical education.

Cheryl Mejia continues her work in interventional pain management, working several offices in rural western Maryland, with ownership in surgery centers on the horizon. She’s still supporting LGBT, diversity, and inclusion programs through her wife’s job as LGBT nurse navigator at Hopkins, and she also volunteers, does board work, and helps charities.

Tavia Nyongo is still teaching at Yale, where “I was recently named chair and William Lampson Professor of Theater and Performance Studies. I’m also active in American Studies, African American Studies, and Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. After a busy year teaching remotely, I’m looking forward to returning (safely) to the classroom soon.”

Jason Segal reports, “After 13 years working in climate-related finance, our business, Javelin Capital, is overwhelmed with opportunity as investing in ESG themes has become mainstream. I hope to connect with more fellow climate finance travelers from Wes. Kids (Julia 7, Ari 6) continue to be enjoying life in and around NYC with plenty of time at the beach this summer. Very happy to see them growing up in NYC and attending public schools here—something I never had the opportunity to do. We are pulling for NYC and hanging in through these choppy waters.”

Ryan Knox was recently named Dean of Students at New Haven Academy, an urban, collegiate-prep charter school.  He’s also in final negotiations to publish his book about his experience during the student protests in Hong Kong, where he also taught and resided as an expat from 2011 to 2015. Ryan lives with his partner, garden, and goldfish in the Little Italy section of New Haven, Connecticut.

Josh Gilbert writes, I’m happy to let everyone know that my and Carey Bartell’s daughter, Eloise (’25), is now a frosh at Wes, exactly 30 years after we all matriculated! Excited to have great excuses to get back on campus. Also, Temperance Beer Co. (the brewery I founded in 2013 but is perhaps better remembered as the official beer of our 25th Reunion) once again hosted our four-day outdoor concert, Out of Space, on Labor Day weekend. It’s kind of like Spring Fling but without Foss Hill. This year’s acts were Big Boi, J.D. McPherson & the Drive-By Truckers, Neko Case, and (former Spring Fling performer) George Clinton & Parliament Funkadelic.