A salute to John Sheaff for expressing what I’m sure most of us wish, think, and feel at this point in our lives. I’ve copied his note, word for word, so as not to lose any of his thoughts:

“Fortunately I can say that Lois and I are still functioning as best as can be expected for old geezers like us. Who cannot be overjoyed looking out at the beautiful green and flower-laced scenes that surround us here in upstate New York. Just think, a year from now we will be able to attend our 65th Reunion at Wesleyan. Hope to see you all there.”

Sad update: In a Nov. 3 text from Lois Sheaff, John’s wife for the past 65 years, I received word of his passing on Nov. 1. Sincere condolences to the entire family. Know that I will sorely miss John’s frequent contributions to Class Notes such as the one that appears in this column as well as the many wonderful memories shared with him.

Word was received that on Aug. 16 Gail Clarke passed away at his home in Old Saybrook, Conn. He is survived by his wife of 65 years, Emily Hooghkirk, and his three daughters. I’m sure I speak for all of us in offering sincere condolence to Emily.

On the home front, Marianne and I moved back to our “original homestead” at Hunters Run in Boynton Beach, Fla. As Marianne has regained strength in her arms and is able to grip a golf club once again, the move made sense and has brought much joy to both of us. An added plus is that we are once again only a five-minute walk from my sister’s residence here at the club. Another plus is the streets are usually very quiet, so when I’m not engaged in riding with my bicycle club members, I have little fear of riding solo for a 20-mile “warm up” here. Always a delight to stop into our local clubhouse for a cup of coffee and conversation midway on my journey. And speaking of cycling, this years’ total miles will only approximate around 4,000 as heat and rain have really cut into the activity. OK, one of these days I might even admit that with advancing age I might even have slowed down!

Finally, I’d be more than pleased to receive a word or two from you. By doing so I won’t have to bore you with tales of my cycling exploits! And please note a change of my e-mail address.

As always, let me extend my very best wishes to you and your loved ones for good health, much happiness and peace!

DONALD J. BRAVERMAN | ybikedon@gmail.com
34 Southport Ln. Apt. C, Boynton Beach, FL 33436