Sincere thanks to Stuart Rapp for his loving tribute and words upon notification of the passing of Jim Wright earlier this year. Although the full text is too lengthy to be included in class notes, highlights were sent specifically intended for inclusion. “Our generation was called ‘the Silent Generation,’ but I believe our history will one day be heard, albeit in a different voice from some before, and no doubt some after. Our story was not heroic as some are, but in terms of our individual lives, I believe all of us who have occupied this niche in time will one day be seen as deserving as the others, with the same memorable qualities of which King Harry spoke so long ago (begging our collective pardon for his timebound assumption of male supremacy)—

“This story shall a good man teach his son,

And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by

From this day to the ending of the world,

But we in it shall be remembered!”

A notice of Jim’s passing is included in the obituary section of the magazine and a full obituary is available online.

Ric Fisher is doing “fine” and living in Sweden. He is now the proud owner of a pacemaker as the result of a Type A aortic dissection late last year. Understandably, he lauds the Swedish health care system and praises his wife Ula “who has been not only loving, but also indispensable” during his recuperation. While no longer playing tennis seven hours a week, nor biking anymore either, he still finds time to vigorously walk his dog! Ric, one of my cycling buddies (an 80-year-old youngster) has been riding with a pacemaker for a number of years and says the Swedes are second to none in the field of pacemakers. Wish you the very best.

Laughed while I read the update sent by Jim Shepard and let me quote his May 15 submission in its entirety: “Friday morning I must leave by 5:30 a.m. to get to Silverado for the annual renal transplant meeting. Lectures don’t start until 1 p.m.; but I want to get there by 8 a.m. That is when I am scheduled to play the South golf course. At Wesleyan I realized the most important premedical school course was intramural golf.” Glad you haven’t lost your sense of humor, big guy!

Marianne and I have survived an unusually wet several months and, thankfully, we didn’t have to contend with flooding as did many in this part of “paradise.” We, for the most part, are still relatively in good health and able to enjoy the daily routine. I agreed to serve on the board of directors of our community, filling a vacancy until the end of the year. I do have the option of not standing for reelection if for any reason I feel it necessary. One provision I insisted upon was there would be no way my service would interfere with my four-day-a-week cycling schedule! Still at it in spite of the frequent rainouts these past several months. I’m only approximately 400 miles behind my annual target. As of today (June 5) I have logged a hair under 1,700 miles. While not as fast as I used to be, I can still hold my own with the youngsters (those under 80) in our group!

As always, my best wishes for health and happiness for you and your loved ones.

DONALD J. BRAVERMAN | ybikedon@bellsouth.net
14790 Bonaire Blvd., Apt. 102., Delray Beach, FL 33446