NEWSMAKER

ARTHUR CHICKERING ’50

Arthur Chickering ’50, an educational researcher, received the Teachers College Distinguished Alumni Award on April 8. This honor is presented by Teachers College, Columbia University, to graduates who have distinguished themselves in their fields and whose impact has been felt on a regional, national, or international level. Chickering has worked as an educator and administrator in higher education for over 40 years. He is the author of many publications relating to student affairs and college student development theories. After earning his bachelor’s from Wesleyan, where he majored in modern comparative literature, Chickering earned a master’s from Harvard University, and a PhD from Columbia University.

Frank Binswanger writes in with fond memories: “With luck I graduated in 1950—but most importantly: I married Sue Hirsch (Wesleyan’s first football queen—but obviously those were the “old days”)—then went into the service for 3.5 years. I started working for the Binswanger organization—an industrial and commercial real estate organization representing many of the national and international corporations in the U.S. and worldwide. Over time, I had three very mature children (two of whom went to Wes) and six grandchildren (three of whom went to Wes). How lucky we have been for the 67 years since graduation.”

Jud Miner reflected on a special moment: “On August 9 I was one of 107 Korean War and World War II veterans on the Honor Flight from Chicago to D.C. It was a memorable day followed by a welcome home at Midway and a parade that included dozens of flag bearers, a naval cadets marching unit, a bagpipe band, and thousands of greeters. I had at least 100 greeters shake my hand and say, ‘Thank you for your service.’ It made me more deeply proud to be an American and proud of my service as an army medic with the 9th Hospital MASH Unit.”Then we heard from

Roger Haskell, who has finished writing an autobiography: “It contains a lot about my baccalaureate days at Wesleyan and Sigma Nu. I am not having it published, but I’ll have copies that I can send if anybody is interested.” Roger was in touch with Bud Tracy ’51 and reports that he is well and enjoying retirement in Suffield, Conn.

Sadly, Bill Johnson passed away at the age of 89 on Sept. 26. After graduating from Wesleyan, he entered the U.S. Army and was in the Army Reserves for several years. He later joined the pharmaceutical firm of E.R. Squibb & Sons in 1955 as a sales representative, and spent 18 years in various sales and sales management positions in the greater New York area. Bill was predeceased by Nancy, his wife of 66 years, and leaves behind his sons, several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

From a personal point of view, we survived Hurricane Irma. Margie and I have moved from our home on St. Simons Island to a very nice retirement community a few miles away, called Marsh’s Edge. I think that we will be happy there. It’s country-club living with no household chores. The new address: 121 Renegar Way #105, St. Simons Island, GA, 31522. Phone number and e-mail remain the same.Best wishes to all our classmates.

BUD DORSEY | margiedorsey5@gmail.com
121 Renegar Way #105, St. Simons Island, GA, 31522 | 912/638-5616