Something different in this issue. Responses to the prompt: How are you contributing to society in diverse and extraordinary ways?

Molly O’Brien: “I wear several hats professionally, and one is developing media for museum exhibits all over the country. This doesn’t fall into the ‘extraordinary contribution’ category, but in this time of fake news and suspicion about news-as-propaganda, museums represent a trusted source of information, often presented in engaging ways. Our studio currently has three Wes alumni and an intern!”

Joe Cassidy: “I’m a fellow at the Wilson Center and write on two subjects I care deeply about: the international refugee/humanitarian system and the State Department. My last piece explored loyalty, bureaucracy, and the Trump Administration, and was published in Foreign Policy: http://atfp.co/2hJPOwQ.

Randy (Levinson) Clancy: “As a co-founder of the CARLE Institute, a trainer for Border Crossers, and an independent consultant, I work with schools and organizations to understand and address racism. As a white woman, I strive to build accountable partnerships with people of color while focusing on the specific roles white people must play in challenging systemic racism.”

Marc Rosner: “I am transitioning between two careers. I’ve been a public and private high school science teacher and technology specialist for 30 years, and hope I’ve taught my 2,500 or so students well. I also have an estate business; my niche is appraisals and sales assistance for families who have inherited coins, jewelry, and other material assets. It’s very satisfying to break up needless fights between siblings, or to ensure a senior citizen gets the most for his or her personal treasures.”

Tamar Rothenberg: “I am a professor and department chair teaching history and geography at Bronx Community College-CUNY, where many students are immigrants or children of immigrants. Most are on financial aid, and most are the first generation to go to college. My goal is to help them find their academic footing, see themselves in complex global contexts, and think critically.”

Matt Pachman: “I currently serve as chair of the Ethics and Compliance Association (ECA). ECA is a best practice community of organizations committed to creating and sustaining high quality ethics and compliance programs within corporations, non-profits, government agencies, and academic institutions. ECA brings together professionals and academics globally to share benchmarks, techniques, research, and new ideas.”

Elaine Taylor-Klaus: “I help parents stay sane while raising complex kids. Five years ago, I created an online resource for parents of kids with ADHD and related challenges, providing support, coaching, and training that is both affordable and accessible. We set out to change the way that parents manage the challenges of raising ‘complex’ children, teaching a progressive, holistic ‘coach-approach’ to parenting. We now do this work with parents all over the globe.”

Sarah Holbrooke: “After over 25 years as a television news producer in NYC, I moved to Telluride to run a nonprofit providing STEM education for kids in rural southwestern Colorado. The research I did at Wesleyan stimulated my switch to science. My love of learning, nurtured at Wes, helps instill the same spark in the 7,000 kids I try to inspire each year.”

Judy Seiff: “I’m newly elected to my community’s school board. Through Yonkers Partners in Education, a superstar organization, I mentor students 9th through 12th grade. I am privileged to work with a new group of seniors annually as I assist them with all aspects of their college applications. The school’s extraordinary diversity reminds me of my alma mater, Bronx Science, where I also volunteer as a ‘practice’ college interviewer.”

Ellen Santistevan: “Taking compassionate action in the world, one client at a time. Through a combination of bodywork, deep listening, and nonjudgmental presence, I allow people to have an experience of themselves as valuable and valued human beings. Especially powerful for marginalized people.”

Charlie Berthoud: “I am surrounded by people doing extraordinary things. I have been a Presbyterian pastor for 25 years, with the last four here in Madison, Wis. People from our church are hosting homeless families at church, providing food and fellowship. Others visit shut-ins, help with affordable housing, work for racial justice, and share money generously with our partners—from domestic violence groups to schools in Guatemala. Together we try to love our neighbors.”

Joyce Burnett: “I remain passionate about health and fitness. I formed a company that focuses on increasing the daily intake of green leafy vegetables. Loice Mae’s Kitchen makes vegetable/fruit smoothies that make your colon dance (smoothkrew.com).”

Lisa Dipko: “I have learned the importance of human connection and ‘living in the moment’ during 16 years of social work with veterans who need nursing home care for dementia and other life-altering/ending conditions. I believe my struggles as a French major have given me an edge in understanding my patients’ communication when their speech becomes unreliable.”

Eric Howard | ehoward86@wesleyan.edu