Class of 1964 Endowed Wesleyan Scholarship

Quinn Grom ’19, Belgrade, MT

Once again, I’m coming to you from my trusty recliner, in my man cave, somewhere in the central Florida area. I woke up earlier to a slight chill in the air. Checking my iPhone, the temperature was 49 degrees. It should reach the upper 70s after the noon hour. Looking ahead to the weekend, nighttime temps should be around the 40-degree mark, but only in the 60s by the noon hour. Should I choose to play golf later in the week, 60-degree temp readings mean long pants and shirt sleeves. Any appreciable wind means an extra layer to stay comfortable.

Today was the deadline for submitting my notes. Actually, it was the extended deadline for submission. In all the years of providing my service to my classmates, I’ve always managed to get this information in on time. Well, there hasn’t been much information from classmates, and I believe the election of Donald J. Trump had everyone’s interest. I was going to work on this column earlier, but confirmation hearings in Washington D.C. distracted me. I began to realize that the presidential picks for various cabinet positions carry weight that determines the agenda for our new president, and executive orders and regulations for the various departments impact citizens more than the legislature.

I received an update from Seppo Sailo, and he mentioned art classes we took. He became a painter and it put bread on the table.

Robert Maurer informed us that his debut novel, Passing Through (The Sixties), is available in paperback and e-Book. The opening chapter focuses on the aftermath of the death of Peter Hunting ’63, the first American non-combatant killed in Vietnam. Over the next three years, the intent of four characters is to change the course of American political history. The current climate in American politics would make this novel an interesting read, or at least food for thought.

Food brings me to a lovely evening my wife and I had visiting Chris and Paul Lapuc while they were vacationing at Disney World, along with their son, Douglas, and his wife. Paul works part-time counseling individuals through the conundrums of life, using his experience of a lifetime taking on these challenges.

I had a delightful e-mail from Richard P. Miller, an old fraternity brother, married to Janet for 53 years. They have two daughters, Victoria and Jennifer, who have given them a total of four granddaughters and a grandson. Dick is retired now, having been a publisher of a newspaper in the Detroit metro area. Many years ago, he did an editorial piece about the movie Animal House, where he likened the Tim Matheson character, Otter, a self-appointed stud who became a gynecologist, to yours truly. I didn’t dispute the distinction he suggested.

To close, I’d like to share an e-mail from an old friend retired in Arizona. He sent a quote entitled “Six Ethics of Life”: “Before you pray—believe; before you speak—listen; before you spend—earn; before you write—think; before you quit—try; before you die—live.”

TED MANOS, M.D. | ted_manos@yahoo.com