Class of 1960 Endowed Wesleyan Scholarship Fund

Joseph Ellis ’19, Manhattan Beach, CA

Your dedicated class secretary, Sal Russo, writes, “On Dec. 29, I was severely injured while descending on a ladder from the roof of our house. I broke both my nose and pelvis. In that one instant of time, my role of caregiver for my wife was dealt a severe blow. Fortunately, our friends were a great comfort and help to Judy. In addition, our children, Amy and Alan, who both live in Seattle, worked diligently to place Judy at High Gate Senior Center. I hope both of us will find healing in our lives.”

Congratulations to Dave Potts for winning the 2016 Homer D. Babbidge, Jr. Award “for the best study of a significant aspect of Connecticut history.” His book has received critical acclaim from a variety of sources. Dave, have you begun researching for volume three yet?

Bob Williams and Ann have been singing in The Highlands Chorale, with two concerts a year. Their holiday performance was met with an enthusiastic response by a full house. Bob is also singing in a quartet, perhaps appropriately called “The Uncalled Four.” Nevertheless, they have a devout following at the Highlands. He is having great fun!

Gill Seeley wrote in: “I will be conducting the Port Townsend Community Orchestra, in a program of works by Sibelius, Thompson, Mozart, and Copland at the end of February. I will also conduct the Rainshadow Chorale, also part of Port Townsend, in their May concert, in which I will premiere my new work for choir, Native American drum and flute on a text by my wife, entitled Morning Rabbit. Incidentally, the 40-member chorus consists of mostly retired folks, but they have great work ethic and spirit. I am thrilled to be making live music again after over 50 years of conducting concerts.”

Ed Stein wrote in: “I’m still here. In a few days, I’ll turn 81, which might make me the eldest in our class. Still working, trying to make Chortles, mini-mini chocolate chip graham crackers, a school and household name across the country. Also, doing crossword puzzle solving sessions with seniors at assisted living facilities and nursing homes. Plus, doing some puzzle construction. Will have another New York Times puzzle on President’s Day, Feb. 22, with the theme of Presidential Trivia.

“Wife Addie retired from teaching second grade in New Rochelle, N.Y., after 28 years. She loved it! That is, until teaching became more about test scores. That’s got to change. Daughter Sharon heads up a signage company with husband Tom. Some clients include Greenwich Hospital, the New York Knicks, and Pepsi. And daughter Jamie works in a special marketing group for Hershey’s.”

Rick Garcia '60 ABCE confers Silver Pin awarded to Mauricio Tejada for best paper of the conference.
Rick Garcia ’60 ABCE confers Silver Pin awarded to Mauricio Tejada for best paper of the conference.

John Duell wrote in: “Trish and I, with our two families (10 total) celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary with a weekend in London in early November. All of us enjoyed a performance of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, together with some excellent food. Looking forward to three weeks in Madeira in January.”

Rick Garcia, president of the Bolivian National Academy of Economic Sciences-ABCE, attended the Bolivian Conferences on Development Economics in December. The conference promoted the exchange of research experiences among Bolivian and foreign economists working in the in U.S. and European universities. While there, Rick gave the Silver Pin award to the best paper of the conference, written by Mauricio Tejada of the Alberto Hurtado University of Chile for his paper “Sources of Gender Wage Gaps in Latin American Countries.”

Sadly, Dick Huddleston passed away on Jan. 15. We will be following up with more information and reflections on Dick in the near future.

SAL RUSSO | salandjudy@hotmail.com
2700 Kentucky St., Bellingham, WA 98229

Editor’s Note: A heartfelt thank you goes out to your class secretary, Sal Russo, who worked diligently on collecting and compiling class notes while in a rehabilitation center to recover from his fall. We wish Sal a speedy recovery.