Class of 1938 Scholarship

Stephen Kovalsky ’18, Economics

David Whitehouse ’19, Honolulu, HI

It is 2017 and I’m curious where we will be as a nation by the time we are holding this edition of Wesleyan in our hands.

I am reminded of how much Curtis Smith and Art Kingsbury are enjoying their visits from family members. Curtis celebrated his 99th birthday in late October. Curtis and his family enjoyed a wonderful meal out in Providence. The children continue to visit. Daughter Maggie had just left when I checked in with Curtis in late January. Daughter Susanna is dealing with some health issues, but Curtis is very optimistic that she’ll be on the road to recovery before this goes to print, and out to visit again soon. Of course his son, Phil, lives nearby and is always helping out, and for this, Curtis is very appreciative.

Curtis also spoke of his great-granddaughter who is 6-years-old and visits occasionally. “She has a sense of humor, is sociable, and likes to draw. I get a kick out of her.” When family is not around, Curtis benefits from a wonderful hospice volunteer who has driven him to orchestra concerts and the occasional movie.

Curtis also mentioned that he is enjoying Victoria, the series on PBS. It reminded him of when he read while at Wesleyan what was considered then, a new style or cutting-edge biography of Queen Victoria. (Perhaps someone out there can help us remember the title.) Curtis reports he is doing well and his singing is bringing him happiness.

I’m sorry I don’t have much news to share about Art. I wasn’t able to speak with Art. I can’t always get my timing right for catching these busy folks. Diane tells me he is doing pretty well and that he really enjoys his visits from family, all three generations of them! In April, Art will turn 99. Diane and Art are looking forward to celebrating the happy occasion with family. Art’s sister, Mary, will be coming down for a visit in March. I believe Mary visited Art at Wesleyan numerous times so some of the fellows from that period of ’38-’41 might remember her.

That’s the news from these graduates. I hope we all have a peaceful, healthy spring.

Cheers,

GRACE BENNETT, daughter of the late Walter V. Bennett ’38
8104 39th Avenue, S.W., Seattle, WA 98136