Mary Beth writes for this issue. Vicente Caride joined Johnson & Johnson’s global strategic design office in New York City, where he is heading up digital design. Melissa Marks ’87 created an exciting site-specific art installation and exhibition in Vélez Blanco, Spain, this past August. Melissa’s Double Self Split was created as a spontaneous, three-week performance, with her painting covering 100 square meters of the courtyard of the Castillo de los Fajardo. The site-specific work is a reciprocal cultural gesture between Spain and New York, Melissa’s home, referencing the relocation of the original castle patio within The Metropolitan Museum of Art. Sixteen large composite drawings were concurrently exhibited inside the 16th century Iglesia del Convento de San Luis. Melissa was honored by locals with the nickname “La Brocha” (The Brush), and the events were covered by the national Spanish press. Melissa and Vicente’s son, Archie, is enjoying his sophomore year in high school, is on the student council and is co-founder of the hip-hop club.

There have been lots of changes for Terry McClenahan and his family: “We moved from Manhattan to Buffalo as of August. My wife, Kara Kelly, M.D., is the new chief of pediatrics at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. I’m leaving a fantastic job at FSI Architecture and many years of chief refereeing and head coaching in the West Side Soccer League. Our 13-year-old son, Rory, graduated from The School at Columbia University on a Monday and we moved out the next Sunday. Before the final move, we lived for the summer near Asbury Park in Ocean Grove, N.J. Last September our gutsy 16-year-old, Katie, left to attend Buffalo Seminary (non-religious girls’ school founded 1851). As a boarder she joined the sailing team and aced all her courses! My great son, Matt, now 26, is completing courses in structural timber framing at Sterling College in Vermont. And soon I’ll send photos of our new dog!”

Crystal Turner-Moffatt was married this September at a waterfront sunset ceremony in Peekskill, N.Y., to Jayson Moffatt of Stratford, Conn. Crystal and Jayson honeymooned in St. Thomas, where they also had a romantic beach ceremony. Crystal has been the owner of CDT EHS Consulting, LLC., a safety consulting firm, since 2007. Crystal also works for MP Engineers and serves as a safety consultant for the Office of General Services (OGS) for the State of New York. The couple will reside in Milford, Conn.

Wendy Buffett writes, “There’s something embarrassing about realizing that ’news’ right now constitutes being in the middle of a kitchen remodel! I had a wonderful time going back to Wesleyan in May to celebrate the retirement of Abraham Adzenyah MA ’79 and to dance again with Denise Paasche on campus. Joel Kreisberg ’82 and I have been married for the past eight years and are still sending teens out into the world. His oldest is working in Chicago and his youngest is at Oberlin. My daughter is at UCLA and we have a junior in high school who is just starting the process of finding his next gig. I’m practicing integrative primary care in Albany, Calif., and am quite grateful to have two black Labs to walk around the neighborhood.”

Amy Huber writes, “After 25 years living abroad, I have just completed my first year back in the USA. My third career has turned into my true vocation. I am employed as a high school math teacher in my local community of Rockport, Mass., teaching calculus, pre-calculus, and algebra. My oldest son is pursuing a career as a performance artist in London. My second son is in Japan to do a PhD at Kyoto University after graduating from Brown. My third son is a junior at UCSD studying global health and politics. My fourth son is a high school senior and in no hurry to leave home! I am looking forward to attending the Head of the Charles in October to see Marta Benson ’84 and Amy Baltzell ’87.”

Craig Pospisil: “As I write this, my daughter has just celebrated her second birthday. Elmo from Sesame Street played a big role, appearing on a balloon, every plate, napkin, cup, and the cake, too. In non-Elmo news: My play, Months on End, had a successful run in Hong Kong this past spring that was extended and taken to Foshan and Guangzhou, China. My one-act play, There’s No One Here, was published in Best American Short Plays 2014-2015. My short film, January, was accepted into the Adirondack Film Festival and the Nottingham International Film Festival, so it’s been a busy time!”

Nick Hill lives in Needham, Mass. with his wife, Audrey, and his son, Kevin, who graduated from Mass College of Liberal Arts with a degree in environmental science and semiotics. Nick has been working in the energy management field for 30 years, “and suddenly I’m in a sexy industry! Wow, I’m now in Cleantech!” For the past 14 years, he has consulted with businesses, universities, and municipalities to manage costs via energy efficiency, renewable energy projects, and energy procurement. Nick volunteers as a mentor with the Northeast Cleantech Open, an “accelerator [program] for early-stage clean technology startup companies” in New York and New England. This past summer he ran their program for startup teams. Nick is a board member of his local “green” committee alongside Jim Glickman ’84. Jim’s an attorney with the U.S. Department of Labor in Boston. I remembered him from my days in the Olin Reserve Room, checking out two-hour readings to beleaguered government and econ majors.

John Vigman writes, “Working most of the time out of Tokyo and Hong Kong, anyone out in Hong Kong out there? If so, lets grab a beer: john.vigman@gmail.com.”

Lisa Nevans Locke received a Montgomery College Outstanding Faculty Award for Excellence in Scholarly or Professional Accomplishments. The award reflects her work over the past 12 years as an adjunct professor of English, and her more than 25 years in journalism. In his remarks, Dr. Sanjay Rai, senior vice president for academic affairs who presented the award, noted her many journalism awards (including an Arkansas Associated Press Managing Editors’ Award and a Society for Professional Journalists’ Dateline Award); previous work as a Congressional and White House correspondent; work for D.C.-area newspapers and magazines; and stories published in newspapers in places as far-flung as New York, Hawaii, and Hong Kong. Dr. Rai said, “This award recognizes your outstanding scholarly or professional accomplishment and sustained contributions to your department, your campus, the College, and the community.” He quoted a student who described her as “a teacher who speaks her mind to set an example to [students to] share their ideas with others.” Lisa has focused on teaching students from underrepresented communities and demographics who are frequently the first person or generation in their families to go to college.

CAROLINE WILKINS | cwilkins85@yahoo.com

MARY BETH KILKELLY | mbkeds@yahoo.com