No big, overarching themes, but a pupu platter of tasty tidbits from the Class of 1982 in these notes!

I’ll start with my buddy Roger Hale, with whom I had a delightful, daylong visit in mid-September, strolling the streets of D.C. and exploring the Phillips Collection, an emporium of Impressionist art. Never a dull time with Rog. I am happy to report that he and his family are living happily in San Jose, Calif.

Harold Bordwin writes that he and his wife, Julie Broude Bordwin, ran into Bob Russo at the Newport Folk Festival. “It was our sixth year at NFF, and (we) expect to keep the summer tradition going forward,” he said. “We’re just back from a 10-day family vacation to Croatia and Montenegro with our boys, Jesse ’10 and Simon (Bowdoin, 2013).”

Speaking of Bob Russo, he has sent us an update as well, sharing that his younger son just completed his freshman year at Oberlin College, “which feels to me like Wesleyan moved to Ohio,” he writes. “Once again this summer, a group of us (Mike Levine, Anthony Pahigian, Mike Greenstein ’83, Steve Davies ’83, and Joe Barrett) got together on Chappaquiddick Island at Joe’s cottage and had fun fishing, kayaking, bike riding, and catching up.”

Julie Kraushaar Zurcher writes that she “is thrilled to be returning to the Wesleyan campus on a regular basis again!” Her son, Bryce ’18, was accepted into the film studies program and is loving his time at Wesleyan, “both in and out of the classroom,” Julie writes. “His work with the film board and Cardinal Pictures has made him friends for life and enriched both his knowledge of and passion for film. So proud of the many great opportunities Wesleyan affords its students (and alumni!), and happier than ever to be a Cardinal. I was fortunate enough this August to attend our local Bay Area Summer Sendoff, where I met many amazing members of the Class of 2020 and their families. Also reconnected with my dear friend, Anne Anderson ’82, whose daughter, Brooke ’19, is at Wesleyan.”

Mark Leuchten’s update (his first since graduation!) reads thusly: “A career in landscape design, feng shui, fatherhood, and a complete old house renovation have given way to a return to oil painting,” he says. “My wife, Patty, runs her own business in Princeton, N.J., where she walks to work. We have lived in town for 25 years. I built an art studio in the backyard and will be spending more time there now that our youngest daughter, Jolene, will be leaving home to join her sister, Emma ’19, at Wesleyan. (Yes, both daughters at Wesleyan—we’re so proud!) But first she’s off to Myanmar for the first half of a gap year. Our son, Michael, is on the West Coast finishing a film major at UCSC.”

Kudos are in order for Sasha Alpert. We have just learned that she was a co-producer on a just-released film, They Call Us Monsters. A documentary about the juvenile justice system, the movie has been making the rounds, including at the 2016 LA Film Festival.

Patty Smith writes, “I am thrilled to announce that my debut novel, The Year of Needy Girls, is being published by Kaylie Jones Books, (Kaylie Jones ’81), an imprint of Akashic Books (Johnny Temple ’88). It will be out on Jan. 3. She adds: “Hope to see some of you at book events this spring and summer. Ginny Pye will be interviewing me at one event in Porter Square Books in May. Check my website: patricia-smith.com to see if I’ll be reading anywhere nearby—I’d love to see Wes friends!“

One other note: The years continue to slip by, dear friends, and our 35th Reunion is just around the corner! Can you believe it? A little reminder to mark your calendars now, if you have not already.

That also means, after five years in this gig, that my time as your class secretary is quickly drawing to a close. If you’re interested in taking up the mantle, Cynthia Rockwell (crockwell@wesleyan.edu) and the wonderful folks at the alumni office would be delighted to hear from you! Until then, keep those e-mails coming to me for a few months longer!

Stephanie Griffith | stephaniedgriffith@gmail.com