I’ve settled down in my recliner, with the sound of raindrops on the roof of my man cave, and it’s Labor Day weekend. My wife, Becky, is out having lunch with her BFF, and our cats are napping, leaving me with the opportunity to do notes for about the 120th time. The television is muted with college football back again, and there is an assortment of games to watch in this information and entertainment age.

I think back to our years at Wesleyan, with the intimacy of our portable football field provided for our gallant squad of Cardinals. Eight games each year with the likes of Worcester Polytechnic Institute, the Coast Guard Academy, and those other two schools of the Little Three, creating a much-needed break from studies. There were also soccer games and cross-country runs to entertain us. Dave Ransom and Jack Buttles toiled on the gridiron, and athletes such as Lou D’Ambrosio and Peter Sipples powered our soccer teams to successful campaigns.

I frequently think about the why when it comes to a liberal arts education at a place like Wesleyan. I learned to trust my capacity for learning, and the ability to translate the knowledge to answering questions. I can’t imagine how many answers I have given in the domain of exams or in my career in obstetrics and gynecology. There came a time at Wesleyan where I studied for an exam, and found myself prepared to give the answers. I found the capacity to choose the moment that I was prepared to handle whatever was asked of me. I trusted that they would ask me questions that I had the right answers for. My Wesleyan experience led me to trust my abilities to handle the tasks that were ahead in medical school, and as a practicing physician, to answer requests by patients, nurses, and other medical professionals. I believe I learned not to fear making the wrong replies after four years at Wesleyan.

News from alumni: Garry Fathman is still active as a professor of medicine at Stanford. He has three children, all married and employed, and three grandchildren ages 4-6. He celebrated his 74th birthday last week and says, “All is well in my world.”

Wink Davenport: “It has been a few weeks since the Olympics have been over and I still think about them and what they mean to me. You will remember that they have been a big part of my life: Player in 1968 in Mexico, referee in 1984 in LA, and administrator in 1996 in Atlanta where my daughter, Lindsay, won her gold medal in tennis. Watching our athletes compete and win was amazing and made me proud to be a part of the games.

“This summer has been very quiet. Jay McIlroy has been in Poland with his wife for several months and won’t return until November. Louie D takes off to his place in Montana and Palm Springs. We will all get together around the election and try to figure out where our country is going. It doesn’t look too promising.”

Rusty Messing: “I have finished my second book of poetry, Midnight’s Breathing, and am very pleased with it. I am still writing and hopefully will come out with a third book sometime next year. There have been other big events in my life. Our daughter, Ali, now has a beautiful little girl, Rumi. Our son, Jake, also has a beautiful little girl, Goldie. Jake and his wife will soon be leaving their condo in Brooklyn and moving cross-country to Healdsburg. Our other two grandsons, Joe (16) and Solly (14), along with our daughter, Jeanne, are dealing with the challenges of being teenagers. My health is good (knock on wood), my mind is slower, my smile is as wide.”

Brooke Jones: “I’m retired from 30 years at Rockwell, International, and doing some part-time work with a start-up. Now doing part-time math instruction for kids at the North Orange County Community College District. My wife, Judy, and I toured Italy last year to celebrate our 51st anniversary. This year, we’ve been enjoying our children and grandchildren, who all live within a couple hours’ drive. I’m also running for the local water board to run out the bums who used the drought to raise our rates last year to 250 percent of the previous rates, with promises of more to come. See facebook.com/Jones4YLWD.

“Sadly, we lost Spurgeon Leon Robinette who died in his sleep in June. A memorial service was held in September at Triple Creek, his home for many years in Arkansas.”

Allen Ames: “I am still alive and able to sit up and take nourishment. I live in a condo in Clinton, Conn., near the water with my ADHD dog. I have renewed friendships with a number of former students through social media. I have ’swallowed the anchor’ this spring and I am boatless for the first time. I have five children, 10 grandchildren, and one great-grandchild, if I am counting correctly. All are beautiful and/or handsome, talented, and brilliant.

“Finally, coach Don Russell is being inducted into the Wesleyan Athletic Hall of Fame. He arrived at Wesleyan in 1960 and always related to our class of 1964. He was my freshman basketball and baseball coach and did a great job. He eventually was athletic director at the powerhouse that was and is Wesleyan sports.”

Harry Lanford has lived in Maine since 1979 and in Bangor since 2005. He retired from a career doing marine electrical and electronics for the Hinckley Company in Southwest Harbor. He married Ann Davis in 2005 and has children from an earlier marriage to Sheila Wilensky: Brook Wilensky-Lanford (married and in a PhD program in American religious history at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill) and Ethan Wilensky-Lanford (married and PhD student in anthropology at Rice). Ann and Harry enjoy traveling in a motor home.

TED MANOS, M.D. | ted_manos@yahoo.com