Cliff Milner in Rochester, N.Y., writes, “Here are a few items, some good and some not so good. I’ve gotten more daring in my old age (88) and rented a motor home so I could spend a weekend at a bluegrass festival down on Seneca Lake. It was marvelous, except for the damage that happened to the motor home! A few weeks ago, I signed up to do a Viking Cruise, and I’m excited about that, as it has been something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I will be going solo, as my wife passed away a couple of years ago.

“Now for the bad news. I got a call this morning from my son in Florida with the shocking news that his son had passed away. That is the second grandchild I have lost in the past year.”

Roger W. Haskell, M.D., Sigma Nu, writes, “The only news about guys from Class of ’50: Warren R. Kaufmann, Sigma Nu, died peacefully in his sleep on Feb. 18. Twenty-year history of Type I diabetes. For myself—continuing to enjoy my retirement here in South Carolina.”

We were pleased to hear from A.J. “Jud” Miner, Chi Psi, as follows: “On Dec. 22, 1951, Jean Bond, Mount Holyoke class of 1951, and Jud Miner were married in the worst blizzard of the year in Buffalo, N.Y. Jud was in the Army Medical Corps. Sixty-five years, five kids, nine grandkids, and five great-grandkids later we are celebrating our 65th wedding anniversary at Windsor Park Retirement Community in Carol Stream, Ill.

“Life after Wesleyan and the army has been eventful: chemical industry sales and management and bar-code label business, including two patents. Ten years as a commissioned lay Presbyterian pastor serving small churches in Missouri, and finally retired, living at Windsor Park. Current activities include roving reporter, Windsor Park news magazine, ECHO, singing in the Windsor Park Chorale, conducting Have Fun, Write Your Memoir workshops, leading occasional vespers services for Johnson Health Care, and one of the on-stage actors at Mighty Windsor Radio Players performances.

“Our travel has been stateside with visits to see family in Connecticut, Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Arizona, and California. Next July we plan to go on an American Queen steamboat cruise, paddle-wheeling up the Ohio River with three other couples from Windsor Park. I’ve retained my membership in the St. Louis Writers’ Guild and continue writing short stories and poems. My latest poem, “Serenity at Age 88,” was written for our kids and has been published.” I have included Jud’s poem here for you all to enjoy.

I have now reached age 88

Moving nearer to Heaven’s gate

But with God’s grace I’ll stick around

And be with you here on the ground

My lower parts are crumbling clay

The upper parts are still okay

My legs are weak, my hips are sprung

But in my brain I think I’m young

And I have family to love

Before I graduate above

So itches, aches, and pains I’ll fight

And be upbeat both day and night

We can’t predict our journey’s end

We cannot see around each bend

But we can live each precious day

With God’s great love as our mainstay

BUD DORSEY | margiedorsey5@gmail.com
161 Shore Rush Drive, St. Simons Island, GA 31522 | 912/638-5616