I’m back in my recliner, once again, taking on my assignment of sharing updates about our class. In this age of social media, I’m not sure where my conversation fits into the mosaic of our common memories. I am present to the phrase about Wesleyan that we all share, “shrine of long ago.” I just hesitated for a moment in recalling whether it was “long ago” or “long, long ago.” I can still see “the altar fires our fathers lit”—as long as I have my glasses on (cataracts aren’t an issue yet).

I love my iPad, which I have trained to store tidbits about our class members and, by the efficiency of copy-and-paste, my labor is minimal. A retired physician with whom I play golf every week commented to me that I was a minimalist as I guided our cart through thick and thin. No wonder—he had so many academic credentials justifying his comment about your class secretary. My dad, who is 95 years young, recently was seen by a dermatology physician assistant, who happened to have shadowed me one month during his training, and who asked if he was related to me. Upon learning he was my father, he shared how amazed he was assisting me on a C-section and seeing how quickly I handled the case, while carrying on conversations about news, weather, and sports.

Back to my task. Stephen Baker, M.D., writes: “I have just retired after 25 years as chair of radiology and associate dean at New Jersey Medical School. Way back when, I was able to study geography at Columbia, courtesy of the GI Bill, and then I taught there for many years for fun. Now after combining my two interests interior spaces and distant places, I have become liberated to learn more about the world as a discipline and a destination.”

Daniel Davis, M.D., texted: “I am finally retiring after 19-plus years in the Division of Bone, Reproductive and Urologic Products (DBRUP) at the FDA in Silver Spring, Md. After 21 years practicing OB-GYN in western Massachusetts (1975–96), the transition to the FDA was perfect, with no night call and a flexible work schedule. Highlights have been working with drugs for contraception, emergency contraception, medical abortion, GYN disorders, and female sexual dysfunction. I’m looking forward to more time with family, tennis and golf, church work (my spouse, Suzanne, is an ordained UCC pastor), and volunteer activities.”

Bob Rutherford is still “doing some volunteer orthopedics—teaching family medicine residents and working at two clinics for underserved patients. I’m taking photography classes, traveling, riding my bike, playing pickle ball and still snowboarding. Worse yet at my age, my wife of 45 years, Diane, and I are building a house. Diane decided she didn’t like the condo to which we downsized in Coeur d’Alene, and we couldn’t find one to buy that was ‘just right.’ So…happy wife, happy life. There aren’t many Wesleyan alumni out here in north Idaho, but we have enjoyed getting together with Lang Dayton and John Jones over the years.”

From Roger Montgomery: “After working many years in Southeast Asia (mostly Indonesia) my wife, Barbara, and I have retired in London, UK, where we have lived for the past 25 years. Anyone coming through London is invited to bend the elbow at 7 p.m. any evening: 25 Belsize Crescent, London NW3 5QY. Phone: +44 207 794 1254.

“P.S. My wife, Barbara Bisco Montgomery, has published three novels, all of which take place in Southeast Asia. All available from Amazon or the Book Depository (free postage from the latter).”

Reunion and Commencement Weekend is fast approaching. I hope a memorable time will be had by all. I’m exploring the easiest way to look in on the festivities and listen to the speakers all from my recliner. What a year with the political winds blowing every which way and the Summer Olympics in August. This is a Ryder Cup year, with the matches in the USA this time. But more important, will “the Cubbies” be in the “Fall Classic” and raise a World Series championship banner over Wrigley Field?

I’m not in my recliner as I add some sad news. I’m at the “Y” and just received notification of the passing of Jim Workman on April 25th. He was always someone who cared about others and I know family, friends, and colleagues will truly miss him. After Wesleyan, he received a law degree from Harvard and practiced law in Wisconsin. Since his retirement, he contributed his time to church and community and was a true leader.

I recently lost a close friend and pastor who I believe is in a new place, much like a spaceship speeding through time and space. Someday I will meet up with those who have passed on, and it will be but a short time for them and a longer time for those of us still in this dimension.

TED MANOS, M.D. | ted_manos@yahoo.com