First, I will note that my wife, Judy, spent the fall in Paris and was there on Friday the 13th—and fairly close to some of the incidents—but she was not directly threatened and made it home safely a week later. We love France and she had a wonderful six weeks but never reckoned on it being so close to such a disturbing moment in history. (Like who did?) I make an effort to understand what is going on in this world and do grasp some things but, ultimately, it is beyond my ken and comment.

Paul Spitzer’s career as a biologist-ecologist was chronicled in Cornell’s Living Bird Magazine. As a youngster, he worked under the lead of the renowned Roger Tory Peterson, who directed him to study at Cornell, where he happily spent the 1970s expanding his understanding of the diminishing osprey population around the mouth of the Connecticut River. Realizing that the eggs were not hatching because of DDT (remember Rachel Carson?), Paul devised a way to bring healthy eggs from Maryland, constructed special nesting platforms with volunteers, and took other steps to increase the osprey population. In that area, there is now what he calls an “Osprey Garden.” He spends part of each winter in Belize doing an osprey breeding survey and his work on Maryland’s Choptank River is the subject of a chapter in a soon-to-be released book.

From Germantown, Tenn., Mike Terry ’70 is writing a powerful blog on his two-year cancer journey: withintenttocure.com. After a lifetime in Connecticut, Dave Losee is packing up and moving to Camden, Maine. Camden has an art colony which will keep Joan happy and it is close to Isleboro, where they have an exquisite cottage. But Isleboro, being on a small island, is insular and the town does not promise they’ll plow your road after every storm.

I had a great time catching up with Bill van den Berg recently. After Wes and some graduate work at Duke, he taught at NCA&T (Jesse Jackson’s alma mater) before earning his doctorate in biophysics at the University of Pennsylvania. He then taught at a branch of Penn State for six years but, as he did not publish enough, “perished,” Reinventing himself as a physics teacher at State College Area High School, he retired in the area in 2007.

As one who is doing just a middling job of retirement, I am awed by Bill’s interests and activities. A naturalist and wonderful photographer, he has a passion for wind-surfing: giving lessons in the summer, traveling to Hatteras with a group for weeks at a time, and going to Bonaire each winter. Interested in “anything we have trouble explaining with what we now know,” he is active in the Omega Society, a spiritual retreat center in Rhinebeck, N.Y., and teaches on the paranormal. He is most joyously sharing his life and interests—“going steady” is how they put it—with Helen Dempsey, a retired social worker.

As my regular readers know, I have kept up the guys who re-established crew at Wes in the 1960s and, when in 1992 they started to row together as seniors, joined in the frolics. (My last race was on my 63rd birthday; blew out a hip and retired.) I have long considered them an extraordinary group but now have objective confirmation: this October marked the 50th anniversary of their first appearance at the Head of the Charles which has grown into the world’s largest regatta. On this occasion, the Globe’s award-winning sports columnist, Bob Ryan, devoted his October 9th column to the achievement of hanging in there and together for 50 years.

As I have regaled you with stories of their lives over the years, I will just do two things here. First, list the names of those who competed at the 50th: Harrison Knight, Joe Kelly Hughes ’67, Bill Nicholson, Will Macoy ’67, Bob Svensk, Nason Hamlin, Wallace Murfit, John Lipsky, cox George Bennum ’09 and Coach Phil Calhoun ’62. And, secondly, recommend you read The Boys in the Boat. It is the story of the University of Washington crew that represented the United States at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. It has been a Times’ best seller for a year-and-a-half, so it is no cult book. Against the backdrop of Hitler’s Olympics, Daniel James Brown does a wonderful job of conveying the challenges and camaraderie of rowing to a general audience (which included my wife’s all-female book club).

Finally, I will put in my plug for our upcoming 50th Reunion. George Reynolds’ wife is on the board of her college and so he is a veteran of many Reunions. He noted how frequently he has been told how surprisingly terrific coming back was and saying they regretted not having come back more frequently. Well, the 50th is like the Last Hurrah and you really should consider making it: May 24–27, 2018.

Also, to make it as special and “handcrafted” as it should be, input from a legion of volunteers is in order. To date, we have more than a handful of classmates who have an expressed an interest in helping out but we need you! George (greynolds@sandpointefunding.com), Sandy See (seescape@verizon.net) and Stuart Ober (ober@stuartober.com) have graciously stepped forward to help identify and assemble a Reunion committee. And I’d be so appreciative if you contacted them and pitched in.

LLOYD BUZZELL | LBuzz463@aol.com

70 Turtle Bay, Branford, CT 06405 | 203/208-5360