Just before Christmas 2015, I received a message on behalf of Bob Foster from his daughter, Kathryn. After WWII service in the Army, Bob graduated in 1947, but at heart has remained a ’45er. He and his wife, Sally Ann, currently live at an assisted-living facility in West Caldwell, N.J. Bob spent his entire career with Prudential Insurance, assisting the firm with mathematical research and analysis. Now 91 and long retired, he continues to enjoy sports, especially the Yankees and NY Giants. Bob keeps track of current events and enjoys his three children and seven grandchildren. Kathryn ended her note: “Wesleyan has been a source of pride to him for decades and it’s a treat to be able to thank Wesleyan…for all the joy it has brought him.” Thank you, Kathryn, for sharing Bob’s enthusiastic life with us.

The previous issue carried Walt Pilcher’s ’63 amusing account of a 1960s Robert Frost visit to campus. Back in my pre- and post-WWII years, Frost visited Bill Snow and we lucky ones were occasionally invited to the Snow home for an evening of conversation about the nature and nurture of poetry—and some criticism of our own creative abilities. We called those wonderful occasions “Warm Nights with Frost and Snow”; later, after Robert Coffin became part of visitations, we redubbed to “From Frost to Snow to Coffin.” I was not fond of Frost, the caustic and testily critical man; I rather liked Coffin because of his fine speaking voice and showman’s manner. Bill Snow’s classes were an inspiration to me, his political views always stirred my thinking, and his service as my distinction tutor made my time at Wesleyan a great influence on my academic career. Even today, I find that my talks about Frost, Snow, Coffin, and John Neihardt please those audiences who remember when poetry demanded more than slinging words down the page. Slán go fóill

FRANCIS W. LOVETT | lovettfrancis@gmail.com

805 Compassion Drive, Apt. 208, Windsor, CO 80550

970/460-9338