John Huttlinger tells me he is doing well in Lake Placid, N.Y. He also says his CPA practice is doing well, adding that he purchased another firm a couple of years ago, which doubled the size of his practice. John says, “The only problem is that I’m working more than I would like to at this stage. I occasionally think about retirement now that my son John has graduated from Ithaca College and is gainfully employed as a computer programmer.” John says he still finds time to do some ski racing two or three days a week. He says the New England Masters ski races are a lot of fun and he occasionally goes over to Vermont for their events. John is also still actively involved with the Adirondack Film Society, which produces film events such as the Lake Placid Film Forum, which has been held annually for 15 years now. He notes that June 8–12, 2016 are the dates of this year’s event! John runs Accounting Associates of Lake Placid.

Dr. Michael Fossel tells me, “I’ve utterly failed to retire.” He says his latest book, The Telomerase Revolution, just came out to “glowing reviews. The Wall Street Journal called it one of the best science books of the year and the London Times had a full-page laudatory review.” He says the book is already scheduled to come out in six languages (not counting separate UK, NZ, and Australian editions) and more are in negotiation.

“More important,” Michael writes, “I founded Telocyte, a new biotech company, to cure (not merely slow or treat symptoms of) Alzheimer’s disease.” He says his company is currently in active discussion with more than two dozen venture capital groups, solely as a result of his presentation at a biotechnology conference in San Francisco last month. Michael says, “Both theoretical considerations and animal data make us reasonably confident that we can both prevent and largely reverse the cognitive decline seen in Alzheimer’s patients. We are currently planning FDA-sanctioned human trials. It’s exciting times for us.”

We have some sad news to report. David Swanson died Oct. 12th of last year. Alain Munkittrick writes that this sentence from his obituary resonated for him (as he was sure it would for friends from Wesleyan): “A calm and steady force, Dave was known for his humor and quiet wit, thoughtful insights, gifted writing and gentle and kind nature.”

Alain reports that after Wesleyan, Dave joined AmeriCorps VISTA, earned a master’s degree in regional and urban planning, and subsequently enjoyed an accomplished career with the City of Salinas, Calif., “where he effected progress on many fronts, but especially housing and infrastructure improvements.” Alain says, “His obituary noted that ‘he dedicated his professional career to improving living conditions for those less fortunate.’ I am thankful that over the past few years I was able to reconnect with Dave, his wife Mary Orrison, and learn about his many post-retirement pleasures (including becoming a grandfather) and the progress of his two sons, Tyler and Will. He will be missed.” I can tell you that Dave was a kind and reliable soul, hardly ever missing a practice and a rugby game while playing faithfully in the second row of many a scrum during games at and away from Wesleyan.

Updating my note about my good friends Sharon and Gary Jacobson. They have moved from New Jersey to Reno and Gary says they would be happy to hear from any classmates who are visiting the Lake Tahoe area.

Finally, Bill Vernon tells me he was watching TV in Jaco, Costa Rica and ended up seeing me on the news through WFOR-TV CBS, my station. Bill says, “Cannot escape the alma mater.”

I look forward to hearing more of your stories.

PETER D’OENCH | Pgdo10@aol.com